Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nribs
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-02-2010, 01:16 PM

Am I Right To Feel Guilty?

Some of you may rember me posting a few months ago as I was rehoming a Boxer Stella, unfortunately after jsut 5 short months we had to have her put to sleep as she had a cyst on her pancreas, all very sudden and upsetting, i am not ashamed to say there has been many sleepless nights and many tears shed, all this happened little less than a fortnight agao, imediately we knew we would be getting another Boxer and that we would again go down the rescue route as Stella gave us so much enjoyment and I'm sure we made her life so much happer as she was so overweight when we got her. Anyway we have been given the oprtunity to rescue a lovely boy boxer who will be 1 year old tomorrow, I feel so guilty even although we know we will never replace Stella as she was a special girl, do you think we are doing the right thing, If we don't take this boy in the current family can't give him the time he needs and the deserves and what if he end up somehwere else and they can;t give him the time needed? I know what i want to do

Thanks
Bagwoman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Of course you are doing the right thing - so many poor dogs deserving loving homes and a tribute to your lovely girl that it was such a positive experience that you want to do it again. Good luck, hope all goes well.
em_er_li
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-02-2010, 01:26 PM
You should not feel guily at all!

You gave Stella a wonderful home, and a happy life.
You should definately give another dog the same chance!

I understand it's all sudden, and that contributes to your guilt. But you know you're not replacing Stella. You're just giving another unlucky dog the life of happiness he deserves!

But be quick, puppies don't stick around for long in rescues..

And good on you for rescuing
nribs
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys I just needed a little reasurance, and I know how much you all love your dogs, Stella will never be forgotten but I nned to make sure this wee chap has the best possible life
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Different people have different periods before it 'feels right' to share their lives with another dog. When we had to have our last dog pts we went staight out to the rescue shelters the very next day. Didn't mean that I didn't love Kip very much, but it gave me something positive to focus on, otherwise I honestly think I would've just cracked up.

If you and your family feel it is the right time, it is the right time and there is absolutely nothing at all to feel guilty of...quite the opposite.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. x
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 01:41 PM
oh so sorry to hear about stella

i dont think you should feel guilty at all, stella was lucky to have found a loving home and im sure she would be happy to know that she meant so much to you, that you want to help another dog in need. you obviously loved her, and she would have known that.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 01:44 PM
so sorry to hear about Stella
Big hugs to you xx
When our first boxer died I said we'd never get another, 2 weeks later along came Fred and then 14 months later along came Mya. I had guilty feelings too but I think about Della every day, even though it's been nearly 4 years since she died. Fred helped to bring back some happiness into our lives, just like your new boy will
Can't wait to see some pics of him and some of Stella
em_er_li
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Different people have different periods before it 'feels right' to share their lives with another dog.

If you and your family feel it is the right time, it is the right time and there is absolutely nothing at all to feel guilty of...quite the opposite.
I agree with Hali on this one. If you all want another dog in your lives and you all feel it's right, go for it!

Getting a new pup, isn't necessarily about 'forgetting' Stella either. If anything, the pup will do things that will remind you of her everyday. So it will help you get over the loss of her, but won't ever let you forget her (not that you would anyway)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 01:54 PM
If you hadn`t taken Stella, she`d likely have died in kennels, without your loving arms around her. None of us know how long our animals will be with us.
I don`t see it as replacing a dog when I take on another, I see it as an appreciation of what the last dog gave me.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 02:17 PM
I think your wonderful to think about this.

Whatever you decide well done and I wish you and your family all the best.

Sorry to hear about Stella, but the gift you gave her for that time was priceless..........that was love xxxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >