View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2011, 05:27 AM
I have the same thing, or at least the same design, from Trixie. It is the *only* thing that works on Taji's undercoat. A regular undercoat rake does nothing for him at all, and he never needs a regular brush.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Oooo I am glad I found this thread as I have just discovered that too and was wondering how good it was too!!
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Here's where I learn how to upload an image. Please bear with me if it doesn't work!

I thought it might help folk get a better idea of the thing if you could see it, and my phone takes reasonably good closeups, so here's an image of the teeth. I've left my finger there for size comparison (I have smallish to normal sized hands for a female human).

Images don't appear to be working-- I'm just using the wizard, code looks fine, don't know why-- so here's a direct link; hopefully that should work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45488523@N06/5607235869/

Here's another. On my model, that big orange button releases the comb/blade, so that when it wears out or if you need a different size, you don't have to get a whole new one, just the new head for it. I've opted for the sort of medium width one. They come both in wider and narrower sizes, so you could probably find one for even a tiny dog:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45488523@N06/5607822320/

Cor, those pictures look better on my phone... sorry! It may be upload quality.

You can see that the teeth are quite tiny and close together. I'm not sure how well you can see the 'edge' between them, but it is quite grippy and quite sharp. I tested it on a piece of regular cotton sewing thread, and it cut right through.

Because it is so sharp I wouldn't recommend it for any wiry or curly coat. Just a gentle stroke on Berkeley (mutt, probably Beardie/Lurcher/Wolfhound, wiry, wavy top coat, soft undercoat) shows that it does indeed cut the top coat. Not going to do that again! On Habibi (mutt, short coat, similar to that of a Staffie or Boxer, but with an undercoat-- she's a bit weird) it works fine. It leaves the top coat alone and strips out loose undercoat. On Taji (short haired Akita, very fine, soft top coat; very dense undercoat) it pulls out the loose undercoat beautifully and doesn't touch the top. His coat is too fine for a regular undercoat rake to make a spot of difference. My hair is straight and cut quite short and it doesn't cut mine.

If you don't think this tool is right for you, you might try the Zoom Groom. This is manufactured by Kong and comes in varieties suited for long and short haired dogs and one for cats. It's basically a rubber brick with fat, soft bristles, and it is really good for removing hair-- the Trixie/Furminator thing is better if what you're really after is getting the hair gone, but the advantage of the Zoom Groom is that you can use it on a curly or wire haired dog, and judging by the responses of mine, it feels really nice, a bit like a massage.

I hope this helps!
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2011, 12:31 AM
I have one for my chocolate lab and it is fantastic!! She also loves grooming time, she seems to prefer this to other brushes I've used, also I am amazed at how much hair comes away! I am going to try it on my GSD but that won't be for a long time yet so will have to see if its as good on her but I can't fault it so far xx
jaymacv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks guys
I know this is reeeeaaaly late but i thought i would reply anyway seeing as ive now reserved my puppy and someone asked what breed im interested in?
Well, we're buying a gorgeous girl pug

Jay.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Awww how lovely
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3