Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

19-04-2010, 06:20 PM

Louis Theroux: America's Medicated Kids

Anyone watched it? What did you think? (You can watch it via the link at the bottom).

I've currently got it on in the background...

Faced with the challenging behaviour of their kids, more and more parents in America are turning to psychoactive medication to help them cope, even though the drugs, and sometimes the diagnoses, remain controversial. Louis travels to one of America's leading children's psychiatric treatment centres, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to get to know the diagnosed children and hoping to understand what drives parents to put their kids on drugs.

Louis meets Hugh, a 10-year-old who has been diagnosed with ADHD, oppositional defiant disorder, Asperger's syndrome and bipolar disorder. Moving in with Hugh and his family, Louis learns more about his controversial diagnosis and gets to know a family where even the dog is on meds.

He also meets Jack, aged six, a child who has been excluded from school for his explosive behaviour and who now takes antidepressant medication for his anxiety. And when 15-year-old Kaylee (diagnosed with ADHD and oppositional defiant disorder) takes a day off her medication, Louis gets a glimpse of what life is like without the drugs.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...edicated_Kids/
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2010, 06:30 PM
ive recorded it will watch it tonight as my eldest has adhd oppositional defiant disorder as well as bipolar!! he was given anti physcoitac drugs which made him suicidal! got him off them but was med free for 2 years(has been on meds since he was 5 hes 16 now) but hes back on equasym as he cant cope with life (neither can we !!!) when i can get him to take them hes like a semi normal child which is liveable in this house much better than the violence,stealing constant lieing.
BUT i do believe alot of kids are dished tabs out without proper diagnosis have seen kids with it and without it and the ones with theses disorders stick out like sore thumbs to us parents who have klids like it where as some are just kids that crave disapline!
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2010, 06:48 PM
I watched this, incredibley interesting, especially the young girl who couldn't bare not to take the drugs, very sad.

The mothers! Not all of them, a couple seemed supportive, but the young boy with bi-polar/OCD/Aspergers, his mother seemed the main driver in his medication. When she said even the dog was medicated!

It's difficult to know, as obviously we have no idea the true extent of these children's problems, but I felt some were just extreme versions of a normal child, a bit OTT if that makes sense.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2010, 06:52 PM
im also the main driver in my sons meds as i love him and want the best for him which to function as a semi normal human being means medication but do agree some kids are on it cos their parents want an easy life !
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2010, 07:04 PM
I felt it was parent driven, the doctor actuially said they did it sometimes for ease of handling the kids.

Take them off additives etc and give them a structure and then if they are still manic do the medicating but not as a first resort.

rune
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2010, 08:44 PM
ive just watched and and agree with louie that boy has aspergers, not seen any sign of bipolar!
and yes most normal kids take them off additives their behaviour will inprove but im sick to death of people saying that to me when my kids have a brain disorder and have been diagnosed.
i went down that route before my 2 were diagnosed and the only food that made them more hyper was ful cream milk and apples!
today is the first time in a long time that weve had a good day and ive not ended the day crying my eyes out and thats cos my son started his 20 mg meds this morning and i am grateful for this one day even if its just the only day this week where my son has a smile on his face and isnt angry and depressed