Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 09:47 AM

How to stop pulling on the lead......

Hi everyone, as you know, I went and met some rescue dogs yesterday! Thing is, most of them pulled on the lead!

Where do I begin to attempt to teach them not to pull?

One thing I found that worked OK was using treats, I would call the dog back, and when they were along side me, gave them a treat, then they stayed there looking at me for a few paces, hoping for another one. Is this ok?

Thanks in advance!!

Obviously, training won't properly begin until I get the newbie home in a few weeks.

(I havent picked one yet either!).
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Similar to the method you've used, I rate the 300 peck method. It's about building duration and I prefer it to other methods as it's basically a big clicker exercise, so you're teaching the dog the behaviour, rather than something like the "stop and stand like a tree" method just teaching the dog that not doing the right behaviour means you stop. Not criticizing other methods, just think 300 peck works better for me/my dog. Here's a good explanation of it.
http://www.druidalegsd.karoo.net/300_peck.pdf
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Similar to the method you've used, I rate the 300 peck method. It's about building duration and I prefer it to other methods as it's basically a big clicker exercise, so you're teaching the dog the behaviour, rather than something like the "stop and stand like a tree" method just teaching the dog that not doing the right behaviour means you stop. Not criticizing other methods, just think 300 peck works better for me/my dog. Here's a good explanation of it.
http://www.druidalegsd.karoo.net/300_peck.pdf
I wouldnt be going anywhere if I did the 'stop and stand like a tree' exercise with the dogs at the shelter!! Some of them are all over the place!! Bless em!

Thanks for the link! Off to have a read...... Im glad that what I was doing wasnt totally barmy!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
I wouldnt be going anywhere if I did the 'stop and stand like a tree' exercise with the dogs at the shelter!! Some of them are all over the place!! Bless em!

Thanks for the link! Off to have a read...... Im glad that what I was doing wasnt totally barmy!
Yup totaly treating them for being in the right place is one of the best ways
I also add a 'stop and stand like a tree' to give them an idea what to do when they get to the end of the lead
but I dont wait for them to get back to position, initaly I move off right away if they show any indication they know I am there (even a little ear flick) then for them slackening the lead even a tiny bit then I wait for more and more until when the lead gets tight they automaticaly turn back to you
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Yes, you'll find this with many rescues; some of them will never have been walked properly before, or may not be used to a lead and collar at all.

When I first adopted Dexter, our walks were a nightmare - he would literally sprint so fast my feet never touched the ground! I used treats, just like you did, and this did help. Ultimately however, I had to book sessions with a trainer to teach me how to correctly control him when on leash, as the pulling was so bad. Once I was shown properly, it was then a question of practising a lot.

If the dog you adopt really pulls a lot and for example also lunges, you may also want to consider a headcollar - a well fitting one can really help and you can then reward the dog for walking nicely.

Let us know which dog you choose!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 12:46 PM
FWIW, when the brindle first came home (she too was a Dogs Trust dog!) her walking was awful..I had to have her on a harness and a head collar. Loads of work, and effort, and her heelwork is fab!

Please dont let pulling on the lead put you off what could be a fab dog!
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
FWIW, when the brindle first came home (she too was a Dogs Trust dog!) her walking was awful..I had to have her on a harness and a head collar. Loads of work, and effort, and her heelwork is fab!

Please dont let pulling on the lead put you off what could be a fab dog!
Course not!! Pulling on a lead can be fixed and isnt that big a prob! I can deal with that!