View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 10:11 PM
i`ve always done my best to discourage my dogs from guarding , simple reason i am aware that i have extremely large dogs that can have bad reputations in the press , it`s always a route i have avoided with my own [as it happens my present two are pretty useless anyway] my previous dog was extremely territorial when in the home , excellent dog when out and about with , just wouldn`t let anyone he didn`t know set foot through the door. my breed either has this instinct or they don`t it`s something only time will tell as a dog owner it is always something i have done my best to discourage , the outcome of that is i have two perfectly happy , calm , patient dogs who i am extremely proud of - i`d sooner be in the position where people are confident meeting my dogs , rather than having dogs that could potentially be a liability around the home, or out with.
DogLover4Life
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
i`ve always done my best to discourage my dogs from guarding , simple reason i am aware that i have extremely large dogs that can have bad reputations in the press , it`s always a route i have avoided with my own [as it happens my present two are pretty useless anyway] my previous dog was extremely territorial when in the home , excellent dog when out and about with , just wouldn`t let anyone he didn`t know set foot through the door. my breed either has this instinct or they don`t it`s something only time will tell as a dog owner it is always something i have done my best to discourage , the outcome of that is i have two perfectly happy , calm , patient dogs who i am extremely proud of - i`d sooner be in the position where people are confident meeting my dogs , rather than having dogs that could potentially be a liability around the home, or out with.
This to is understandable I might do more research but may end up letting her grow up to be herself not training her to do guard dog etc. but not 100 % sure yet. thanks
scout75
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-03-2011, 05:23 AM
I agree with what Smokey said.

by the way I have a rottweiler mix pup so she someday might just take on the role on her own of being a guard dog or PPD.. idk
But the point is that you can't let her decide to be a PPD on her own. That would involve a dog who is making her own choice of when to react. her own choice of when to bite and when to stop.

In reality, very few dogs have the nerve and experience to take on an intruder (especially one who fights back). Lots of accounts of dogs having protected their owners is fear biting. A dog rushing in and biting and rushing back out again.

If you truly wanted a PPD you would need to put in a lot of training to make the dog think that she is invincible and will hold on to an intruder and keep holding on despite being hit and slammed into walls and anything else an intruder might do to get the dog off. It's not something i would want to train.

In sport training the most the helpers do, is hit the dog with a padded rubber stick, if you google some training clips of PPD work you will see that is not what happens in PPD training, you would also need to work on hidden sleeve scenarios.

I would probably just enjoy your dog, train her to bark on command (and stop on command ) and that's enough to keep most people away.
DogLover4Life
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2011, 04:19 PM
This is true too. Thanks to everyone you have me thinking I will probably do lots of research before making up my mind but everyone here has convinced me to stay the safe route and not to train it this way. Thanks everyone keep those comments coming as you wish.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2