View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Our old retriever was a HUGE water baby He didn't care what the water was or how big or small if it was wet he was in it

We had a big lake and he would jump in then just swim around with that "you can't catch me" look on his face

I agree with others in that swimming is a great way to exercise and they will dry off and a happy dog os a healthy dog.

I have no experience of bassets so have not heard of the weight to leg length thing, so if that is a concern then hopefully someone on here with bassets may be able to offer advice?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 05:17 PM
If you're worried about her going out of her depth - then for your peace of mind and her safety, either a long line and a harness - so she can swim but not out too far (I'd get a good long line) or a life jacket - that way, if ever she got stuck or something bad happened she stays buoyant until you can get help - a combination of all of it would be best.

Is she the cross Cocker?
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
If you're worried about her going out of her depth - then for your peace of mind and her safety, either a long line and a harness - so she can swim but not out too far (I'd get a good long line) or a life jacket - that way, if ever she got stuck or something bad happened she stays buoyant until you can get help - a combination of all of it would be best.

Is she the cross Cocker?
Yes she is a cross cocker she looks all basset but I have never seen a swimming or and energetic basset before I met milly lol x

I think she will stay on long line if I am alone but if with my partner can let her splash away because he can swim and save her if she gets into trouble x
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Well the other day we kept Louie on a harness and long line - mainly 'cos there were swans in the distance but because he wasn't quite sure - and I didn't know how deep or how much growth of underwater plants there were. (in a local country park near my parents a few dogs have drowned due to the park not being dredged - however that is cleared up now)

IME of Cockers - they are never far away from water, so you may have more spaniel than hound.

If you do want her to swim but want to be able to keep her safe - maybe try a hydrotherapy pool, once a week?

That way you won't have to worry at all.
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Well the other day we kept Louie on a harness and long line - mainly 'cos there were swans in the distance but because he wasn't quite sure - and I didn't know how deep or how much growth of underwater plants there were. (in a local country park near my parents a few dogs have drowned due to the park not being dredged - however that is cleared up now)

IME of Cockers - they are never far away from water, so you may have more spaniel than hound.

If you do want her to swim but want to be able to keep her safe - maybe try a hydrotherapy pool, once a week?

That way you won't have to worry at all.
I think your right lol I think I may invest In a good sturdy life jacket for her I don't mind if she swims or not its more a case of keeping her safe as long as she is a happy hound or should I say spaniel lol x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2