Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mumof2boxers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2011, 08:24 PM

Advice walking 2 dogs with a back problem

been to see my physio and advised not to walk both dogs at the same time,and it pulling on my back my t4?

anyway i dont have time to do 2 separate walks before work,
both dogs are boxers and using dogmatics on both,but both pull.

so any advice please
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 09:00 PM
How much training do you do with them? There's no quick fix to walking, headcollars give you more control but ultimately you still need to teach the dogs to not pull or they won't know what they're supposed to do.
Could you perhaps walk them in the morning for half the usual length so you get time to take them both out individually? Make each walk a training session and even though they're not getting as much physical exercise, the mental exertion will most likely make up for it anyway. Perhaps look at the 300 peck method - http://www.druidalegsd.karoo.net/300_peck.pdf
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Walk one in morning & other in evenings & as Kylr suggests, shorter walks
Greenfae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Worth getting a dog walker until you are recovered? Even if the walker walked one every day and you walked the other then swapped or something?
mumof2boxers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by Greenfae View Post
Worth getting a dog walker until you are recovered? Even if the walker walked one every day and you walked the other then swapped or something?
i wish!
i cant afford to,
mumof2boxers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
How much training do you do with them? There's no quick fix to walking, headcollars give you more control but ultimately you still need to teach the dogs to not pull or they won't know what they're supposed to do.
Could you perhaps walk them in the morning for half the usual length so you get time to take them both out individually? Make each walk a training session and even though they're not getting as much physical exercise, the mental exertion will most likely make up for it anyway. Perhaps look at the 300 peck method - http://www.druidalegsd.karoo.net/300_peck.pdf
we all help out with training the dogs are still pups they have learned the sit,give paw,stay,lay down,struggling with come here,esp when off leads,lol,

at the mo when they pull we stop tell them to sit,wait a sec them set off again,
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by mumof2boxers View Post
we all help out with training the dogs are still pups they have learned the sit,give paw,stay,lay down,struggling with come here,esp when off leads,lol,
I meant training for a loose lead, but it's a good idea to do other training with them to tire them out. Teaching new tricks to make them use their brains can help wear them out, or make their current tricks a little bit more challenging. Increase the time the dog has to stay in a down, teach them left and right for give paw, teach paw targetting, etc. - check Youtube for ideas, if you put in "Kikopup", she's made lots of videos, as well as a playlist of clicker training videos. You could shorten their morning walks and just do 5 minutes of clicker training with them as well as a short training walk and this would most likely wear them out as much as a longer walk.

Originally Posted by mumof2boxers View Post
at the mo when they pull we stop tell them to sit,wait a sec them set off again,
Personally I wouldn't make the dog sit if they pull - I would stop and either lure them back to your side or wait until they stand back in line, this way they're learning that they need to stand at your side. Making them sit might be confusing them a little. There are lots of different methods for training a loose lead walk so it's a case of finding one that suits you and your dogs, and also consistancy and frequent short training sessions.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 04:13 PM
How old are they and how long (time-wise) are the walks?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 04:21 PM
I would shorten the walks (so if you are giving an hour, do a half hour for each dog)