Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Do you have any "key words/emergancy words" Loaded up with him?

Have you a good name response, (NOT a recall, just a good name response) & are you still training the name response with distractions? Do you load up the name response throughout the walk, & when you first get out of the car?or get to the park?

Ive said it about a billion times before, but no-one takes any notice, but teach the recall in FOUR separate parts
Part 1. Name response
Part2. Come (thats the RUNNING back bit must be praised as SOON as the movement starts)
Part 3.all the way/nice close to me
Part4. stay here with me until you are released

I find in general that the "come" is not taught correctly, ie the final getting back to you bit is rewarded, but not the 5 seconds before bit whilst the dog is actually running!

To me,the most important bit is name response
yip... u dont want to just randomly say 'come' you need to grab the attention first..and keep grabbing it as they are coming back,praise praise 'oh good lad' etc all whilst(i find) running backwards.,with one of mine all she wanted to do was greet other dogs,so we trained that a recall meant she was released to play,she started coming back to me on her own when she saw another dog
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
That's not even funny

I would never, ever use an e collar on my Dexie. Never.
oh come on.. even i thought it was funny..u have read the threads/blog
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 11:26 PM
I know this topic comes up a lot but am really hoping someone can help me get to the next 'stage' of recall with Dex:

I have been trying to train recall for almost ten months.

I started at home, and pretty quickly Dexter seemed to 'get it'. He will come INSTANTLY if I recall him at home.

Ditto if I recall him from the garden. INSTANT response.

Next I tried in a tennis court, when the park was quiet - and sometimes in the park itself, when it's empty.

Again, no problem - Dex will come when called.

So when nothing else is happening, he will come.

But no matter WHAT I do, if there's another dog, or people around, I simply cannot get a reliable recall.

I have tried:

- high value treats
- toys
- jumping and yelling
- running backwards as in 'chase me'
- all of the above combined!

So now I have to keep him on a long line; I've just ordered a new, 30ft one. I would dearly love to have a really good recall but just can't seem to get there

Can anyone help me with where I'm going wrong?

Thank you for any advice
You've had some good suggestions already, but the way I usually tackle this type of problem is to also combine a recall with a well-conditioned 'leave' command.

When the dog breaks to go to the distraction of people, dogs or something else of interest, use the 'leave' first followed by the recall.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-03-2011, 08:27 AM
That's not even funny

I would never, ever use an e collar on my Dexie. Never.
i was being tongue n'cheek.

im guessing you havent read gnaser's threads then?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i was being tongue n'cheek.

im guessing you havent read gnaser's threads then?

I know you were, sorry, I had to stop reading Gnasher's blog as was getting so upset about Ben being subjected to the collar.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Thank you SMOKEY BEAR

Yes, I think this has to be the next step. Jeez, Dex will be an unhappy boy when he doesn't get brekkie as usual tomorrow morning....!!!

Can't be helped though.
How is he getting on?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
How is he getting on?

HI KAMMI - thanks for asking

It's starting to improve a bit - I've incorporated quite a lot of the help given in this thread

I keep him on a long line at all times and recall frequently; as soon as he turns and looks at me, I praise and encourage and also sometimes start running away to initiate 'chase' which seems to work quite well.

Once he comes back, I praise more, treat big time, and then let him go and play etc again.

Oh, and I've now found the recall command he responds to best is 'this way'.....

'come' and 'here' did not work.

However, it's still well nigh impossible to get a recall if he sees something really exciting, such as another dog close by......

At least it's improving, though
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2011, 07:53 PM
I really sympathise, as Storm was exactly like this, but now he only is this way when he is on lead (which of course is much easier to control).

One thing I have done, which has literally stopped him in his tracks, in the middle of running off to jump up at somebody, is I have 'charged' up a whistle so that every time I blow it, he gets to play his favourite game. Now, it's very easy with Storm, as he is a Lab crossed with a Collie, so he's got that obsessive side to him and if you have the ball/frisbee/stick etc in your hand then he is not moving from your side!!

Maybe you could try the same with food (your Dex being a Lab) and/or his favourite toy. Maybe the whistle would at least be enough to distract him before he goes to jump up at somebody.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3