View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 10:59 AM

At what age do dogs enter the TEEN phase?

Well.... Bodhi is 13 months now.

Just recently - past couple of weeks, I have noticed a difference in her.

Same amount of exercise (GOOD hour (minimum) of running and exploring - really work her, not including in house play etc), same food etc etc etc..

She seems VERY bouncy, very excitable. And her 100% recall (well near enough ) which I was SO proud of is a bit tarnished She's doing the stop, look at me for ages, then carry on thing. I am really really disappointed in this, as she was excellent. I have tried really driving it home, taking extra chicken out etc, which she responds really well to, but I don't feel like i can trust her as well as I used to

Don't get me wrong, she is STILL brilliant, and listens most of the time, just these frustrating episodes... I just smile, and walk in the opposite direction if she has ignored me, or take my bag off - which usually gets an immediate result, as she knows I keep her ball in there.

I THINK she is maybe just maturing a little more? For instance, she has always liked pretending to look for rabbits - were yesterday she was REALLY bounding about looking for them, with gusto I haven't seen before!!!

Well.... Is she just a slow starter (she's not a huge dog..!!) - turning into a grown up?
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 11:28 AM
I think Harley entered his teen stage at about 3 months and apparently Goldens don't mature until they are at least 3 years old so have a while to go yet.

He isn't actually that bad but the recall is slipping - I think he just has to have the last word because he always always has to stop for a pee on his way back to you. He will also survey the horizon before he comes back - but think this is because he knows I always put him back on lead if I see other dogs coming our way.

At training class and indoors he is brilliant - he just needs to transfer all this to our walks now and he would be perfect.
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Hi,
My Rocky is 19 months now & just hitting it I think he has been slower to mature though due to his past (i adopted him at 10 months). He has started trying to boss my older female about,but getting nowhere lol, pulling on the lead everywhere we go no matter how long he has been walked/run for & generally being bolshy at home.
He has started to mouth as well again which i thought we had got him out of & barking for attention when we have visitors then jumping all over them! So its right back to basics for him till he grows up a bit
I went through much the same with my Amy so i know they do eventually get past it She is 2 & a half now & so calm compared to Rocky. Oh ive got it all to go through with Holly yet,the joys

sarah
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Skye became a naughty teenager between 3 - 4 months old and she is still very much a naughty teenager at just 9 months old!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 07:51 AM
Depends on the breed or type of dog really. My JRT hit it about 5 months and at 18 months is still at it, he will probaly get through it at about 13yrs old .
Shady my Rottie x GSD hit it about 9 months but is starting to improve now at 16 months and hopefully should mature nicely between 2 and 3 yrs.
My cavaliers I had never really had a teen phase my girl was an angel from the word go and my boy had a slight hiccup between 6-9 months otherwise they were easy.
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Suki was born a stroppy teenager!! No seriously at about six months she started to go backwards but that could have been because of the house move. She's now 9 and half months and I reckon we are in the thick of teenage behaviour. Mouthing, ignoring commands, trying to stand her ground etc - she's on a behavioural programme as she has issues so I'm glad of that discipline to help us get through it.

PS - She also gets incredibly huffy and very vocal however I have a thirteen and half year daughter who does the same so perhaps they are copying each other.