Our sister sites
Our sister sites
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-10-2010, 08:30 PM

Dog business

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this on but here goes:
I'm really unhappy in my current job and thinking about it the one thing that would really inspire me and fire me up would be to either work with animals in some way or possibly have a shop selling doggy stuff, with some dog walking on the side etc.
Does anyone on here have any experience with running any kind of doggy business?
I've worked in retail before and my parents have their own business so I know how hard it can be but if anyone has ANY advice in this area I'd be really grateful!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2010, 09:01 PM
I chucked my Office Job in Last feb, & since March , Have been doing Private Dog Training, Dog Walking, Selling Basic Dog training Equip & for a month Selling Yumove & Yumega products (selling a few to my customers -but mainley to Obedienve eople at the Shows)

ITS being fantastic really, But im really busy cos im too scared to turn the work away.

See my profile for linky to my website!

I live in a biggish City, so theres lots of Potential work , but also lots of competition.
moreforpaws
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Hi,
I had loads of experience and knowledge of working with dogs, but was un-happy working for rubbish managers that compromised dogs happiness and wellbeing for extra money. So my partner suggested I set up a small dog walking company to cover the Barnsley area to make ends meet.

That was in March...I am now the biggest dog walking company in my area covering Barnsley, Dearne and Rotherham. We are so busy we have 5 staff working for us and we have just opened a premises doing Doggy Day Care, grooming, micrchipping, training....on top of that we also do home boarding, pet sitting, cat visits...etc.

It is REALLY hard work, but i guess you know that much already. I have not had a weekend off since March and my days start at 7:30am and when I have finshed with the dogs at 7pm it is then home to do paperwork, advertising, networking...etc till midnight EVERY NIGHT!!!!

But you get out what you put in I guess...most dog walkers take on as much work as they can manage alone and enjoy working at that level. We decided that due to our early success we might as well build on that so that we can reap the rewards later on in life (especially as I have 2 young children)

If you would like to know any more information please feel free to private message me My website is at www.moreforpaws.co.uk
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys - PMing both - you're so helpful!