Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Excuse the blurry picture.
oh what a lovely one

I once also used to have two long haired ones
a black one tomcat and a tricolour missy
called Oskar & Cindy, of course neutered and spayed both!
fur well groomed, got their boosters every year, dewormed regularly and always checked for not getting fleas
could go out as well but didn't really leave the garden
even came in for to use the neat and clean kept cat loos, rather than to poo around out in the garden

well, there are quite differences between cats and "cats"

...and their owners
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Thank you. Unfortunately she doesn't have her long coat now. She's 18 or 19 and has completely gone off being groomed in her old age....and why not! The only bit she will have groomed is her chin...which is short haired of course!

Rather than stressing her with combing she now has a her hair clipped short and just a long hair on her face and tail. She had been neglected when I got her an 8 years old and never been groomed so the rescue place shaved her. I then had to get her used to being groomed...which a a slow process. But now she's an old lady she's decided she shouldn't have to put up with it.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Thank you. Unfortunately she doesn't have her long coat now. She's 18 or 19 and has completely gone off being groomed in her old age....and why not! The only bit she will have groomed is her chin...which is short haired of course!

Rather than stressing her with combing she now has a her hair clipped short and just a long hair on her face and tail. She had been neglected when I got her an 8 years old and never been groomed so the rescue place shaved her. I then had to get her used to being groomed...which a a slow process. But now she's an old lady she's decided she shouldn't have to put up with it.
Oh just too well I know where you are talking about!
Oskar was the same! just hated to get brushed
so with loads of patience and being verrrry carefully, he let get it over him but when he really got old, I didn't do that to him anymore as well
but he enjoyed, when I got cut out his knots with the clipper and also shaved him by that way
Cindy was the opposite, she just loved to get brushed and her purring at was amazingly, rolling her streched body from up to down over my lap, that I could really get every part of it
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2013, 12:29 AM
Catrin - blurry maybe - but the loveliness shines through!

Cats are much smarter than dogs. I like this saying ....

Dogs think they are human
Cats think they are GODS
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2013, 05:41 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Morning Catrin. Not just 'people' but I believe the law 'thinks that' too!

People who are bothered by dogs barking and fouling want all dog laws tightened up.

People who are bothered by cats howling all night want all cats removed from their vicinity!

People who are bothered by noisy cars and bikes roaring up and down their road want them all arrested.

I could go on - noisy neighbours, destructive children,

As for cats - I can't help smiling as I live in Cyprus and the 'Cats of Cyprus' are so famous they are depicted on tourist Tshirts, shopping bags and all sorts!

After putting up with yet another long moaning session from Doros downstairs about how much noise people make when they are using the pool (hell it's summer, its damn hot and people mucking about in swimming pools do tend to shriek and laugh etc) my advice to him was to move out of this area and live in a house in the Troodos mountains!

You have made your 'cat problem' sound more horrendous than most (admit I smiled at the 'staring at the dogs - don't ALL cats love to do that from the safety of a high fence?)

Sometimes the only real option when life is being made that unbearable is to move. And hope you don't get the same (or worse) problems in the next place.

I certainly wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Govt to legislate for cats.

Meanwhile this might bring a smile to your face this morning! (I've met all these apart from the SHY CAT - I don't think we have any of those - I think they made that one up!

Love this post; thank you. When I lived in an urban setting, my cats lived indoors

For their safety. Period.

When I moved to a very rural area, I started letting them out. And have never stopped doing so.

These cats are healthier and happier and more devoted than my housebound cats.

OF COURSE all cats should be neutered and here in Ireland we are working on TNR schemes but against colossal ignorance. A few years ago I used to visit a lady who fed ferals. She grudged the money she would have to spend on neutering as they might get killed on the road. But she was spending large amounts on food; warm milk every day etc etc etc

So I rang round, called in favours, and organised for four of her ferals to be neutered free. Organised a humane trap too...

She did nothing; could not be bothered . I had to bite my tongue HARD.

Please don't blame the cats for human negligence! And if you care, rather than pushing re legislation, involve with TNR schemes.

My two are happy, free to roam and neutered. Fast asleep on my bed with me right now!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2013, 05:45 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
RSPB CATS & THE LAW http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/garden...andthelaw.aspx
Grand SO!

The atrocity here on Tory Island sickens me, especially as there were cat rescue folk ready to take all the cats. paranoid the twitchers are.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2013, 05:54 AM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
I'm afraid I don't agree. I've never had such problems with cats, and we've always had cats. I would never have an indoor cat and walking a cat on a harness.. well I just don't think that's the best solutions for cats.
They're not like dogs, they're much more independant and get their exercise in different ways. Imagine all the people who have cats who'd have to walk them.. how many would actually do that? And cat training is a lot more difficult, how do you think the big part of the population would handle that?
Are the cats in your area really that much of a nuisance? When I lived in the city with cats it really never was a problem, people just put nets over the sand pits on playgrounds. In the village, same. Cats never disturbed anyone. And where my mum lives now, in the middle of nowhere, the foxes make a LOT more noise than the cats..
Disagree re walking cats on leads etc as I used to do that with Siamese when in a town. They are adaptive. Saw several others also doing the same; to protect the cats from traffic of course!

Cats can do well indoors and many do so. For many in flats it I the only way they can have a cat and I would hate to see eg old ones deprived of that living company.

My cats are dependent on me; have always had this with my cats, maybe because many have been house cats and also because of ill health I am home all day. And they do a grand job of keeping vermin at bay.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2013, 05:59 AM
Originally Posted by Laurabehjet View Post
I don't really agree with that legislation.
Cats are not followers, most of them will never walk nicely on a lead, they will stop and try to go in all sorts of different directions and lie down for a nap, trying to walk a cat sounds like an absolute nightmare.

Then what if something scares it?
You'd be amazed just how difficult they are to control if they try and flee suddenly. I know as my old cat used to go to the vet on a dog slip lead (we were very very poor, he broke out of all the cardboard boxes and we couldn't afford a carrier!)
Luckily he didn't manage to escape but it was very difficult to control him and my arms were pouring blood where he'd clawed me and this was after many peaceful trips there.

If your walking it on lead, what happens if a large dog spots it and it gives chase...?
I can't imagine it going well, even if the at doesnt get caught the experience will terrify it and that cant be healthy for the cat.

I don't agree with people keeping cats indoors permanently either unless they have an unusually lazy cat. They need outdoor access in my opinion.

As for the poo, are you sure some of that isn't foxes or dogs?
Foxes are a similar size and a lot of dog owners don't pick up.

Here, we have a problem with horse poo, why the riders can't put a poo bag on them like they wear in Vienna I do not know, the number of times I have been walking on a narrow pavement and had to go on the road to avoid a huge, steaming pile of excrement. I have even spotted a pile next to my sons nursery!
Disagree re walking cats. They adapt and in any problem situations you simply pick them up.

Maybe we have become too squeamish re natural functions. When I was a child we used to be alerted to pick up any horse manure; it was like gold dust for gardeners
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2013, 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by Malpeki View Post
OMG Tangutica

and if I hadn't had any clue about Cyprus before
now for sure I know exactly, that this wont be ever a country I wanna ever only just visit for holiday!

those pics and that vid really just let feel me plain disgust!

...and I thought I've a prob with just this "some" cats around at home

but at least your country must be free of mice and rats, cockroaches & snakes (like you said they hunt and eat that as well) at all, when they still need to get fed

or is there something going wrong?

are they now pets or feral cats?
as if they are feral cats, they should not get fed, as the natural thing would be than, that right the nature would already reduce at least a bit of their population there

as less food = smaller litters = less feral cats = the weak ones will die, the strong ones will survive
all just natural

but stray dogs are getting killed?
This is appalling cruelty .. letting a critter die of starvation. REALLY! TNR works. Not this abominable cruelty.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2013, 06:50 AM
Malpeki if you know anything about Cockroaches you will know they are the ultimate survival machine.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >