Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by rottyneo View Post
I have recently been doing some research into animal charities and the rehoming of much older dogs.

In general these older dogs usually have some health issues, do not adjust well to kennel life (can become underweight and stressed) and although they receive love and care from the staff they would benefit from a forever home in a quiet warm enviroment.

Most charities have fixed payments for dogs, ranging from £65 to £150.00 THe average is between £85 and £140. Due to these high prices older dogs with health issues are overlooked for a younger ones.

Not many people are willing to pay £140 for a 12 year old dog on its last legs that is on medication for heart problems, bladder problems etc which may cost an additonal £40 per month plus will be very hard to insure.
I have found that 80 % of the charities i approached would not lower the adoption fee under any circumstances, they would rather keep the dog at their kennels, which in the long run costs the charity a lot more and is not really in the dogs interest.

I know these charities pay out quite a lot for castration, worming, chipping etc before sending a dog out to a new home but i still feel their missing the point of what they are there for in the first place.

Please note i think all the staff at all the dog charities do a fantastic job looking after the dogs and i know a lot of them do end up taking these old dogs home because they feel so sorry for them. Its the adminstration that appears to be the problem.

Does anyone else feel the same?
I couldn't agree with you more! All dogs above a certain age should be a minimal charge, considering it would be almost impossible to insure a 12 yr. old dog if you hadn't had it insured with the same company for donkey's years, and if they did, it would be super expensive, and if you can't insure it for pre-existing conditions,which you CAN'T, then you're forever going to have your hand in your pocket when you're an avid animal lover!

We recently had this very same discussion a month or so ago, so I said my piece then!

I want to get these poor unfortunate creatures OUT of these places, and it's hard enough re-homing any dog, let alone an oldie, who will usually get walked past!

Yes I know, they pay for this, that and the other to get the dog back on track, but they also get thousands/millions of pounds in donations, you've only got to look at their balance sheets on the net for all to see. They should all take a look at their charges and recalculate their figures, coz I don't see why somebody should pay £150 or whatever for a pedigree puppy worth £600, and yet the same for an oldie, it just doesn't make sense to me and never will I'm afraid.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

02-01-2009, 08:33 PM
However most of these adoption forms have a tick box which says something along the lines of
"i agree to pay a donation of £140" Which is ok but then you'd pay the same for a 4 yr old dog as you would a 12 year old.
You're not paying for any dog, young or old. The donation is to suppport the rescue not to pay for a dog. That's why it's an adoption and not a sale.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Well why can't we go back to how it used to be, whereby you paid what you could afford and wanted to pay? If I was going to buy a pedigree puppy, and they just so happened to have one at our local rescue centre I would be much happier giving them £600 than I would a breeder quite honestly. They could have a "minimum" donation, and then you could pay up to £500 for your pedigree puppy, but say, £50 for an oldie? SOME dogs in rescue, are already speyed, microchipped, etc. etc. because they've just been given up for differing reasons, they're not ALL strays who are abandoned are they?!
I'm sure having differing rates it would even itself out, and thereby, might actually reduce the number of dogs in there? I'm also sure they get far more charitable funds coming in via donations from wills than they do by "selling" these poor dogs in any case!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2009, 08:51 PM
I understand what you`re saying - but you`re not `buying` a dog. If you were, you`d get a Free to good Home one out of the paper. What you`re doing is helping a Rescue organisation continue its work.
I don`t think older dogs are any less precious than younger ones - I`ve never wanted a pup, and prefer to let some other person do the teething / housetraining etc. And you don`t only get medical problems with older dogs.
If you mean really ancient ones, think how much it has cost to maintain that dog while it`s waiting for a home, and how much your donation will mean to all the other Oldies.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Yes, I understand, but then neither are the people who die and leave their house to a rescue centre are they, i.e. they're not actually "buying a dog"? I just want to see if there is a way to get most of these dogs OUT of these places, and I'm actually wondering whether the price on their head (although it isn't, I realise, you're just donating to the charity!)is a bit too high for some of them that's all, and I'm sure you know where I'm coming from here

People who want a puppy should pay a puppy price imo, i.e. £500 upwards, and not the miniscule amount they are asking for compared to that!!! That way, some kind hearted person who wants to take on an ugly oldie or one with problems, might even be given it for a pittance kind of thing? I really, honestly think if they changed their pricing strategy, most of these dogs would get a good home, and that's all I want at the end of the day, it's just finding out how!!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2009, 09:25 PM
We've had several discussions about adoption fees and I can see both sides of the argument.

However, I do feel that sometimes some of the larger organisations seem to lose sight of their aim to rehome the dogs. I understand all the arguments about why adoption fees need to be high and that it is a donation rather than a price for the dog, but for the majority of people looking for a family pet, it amounts to the same thing. Ultimately I think the rescues need to also attract potential owners who may not be particularly charitable - i.e. they are purely comparing the cost of say a byb pup against an older rescue.

I have to say that my own experience of rescues has been very good. My first was an older dog and the SSPCA bent both the amount of adoption fee (by calling him a crossbreed rather than a purebred) and their policies of working (we were proposing to leave him 4 hours a day during the working week).

The rescue I now volunteer at only asks £35 for their dogs. They are particularly hard up, but they have found that keeping the adoption fee low is the best way to obtain a fast turnover of the dogs. Just because people can't afford (or are reluctant to pay) over £100 for a dog doesn't mean that they won't be good owners who look after their dogs well.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think your research needs to be extended!
indeed again.
i have worked at 3 rescues.
all have either cut fees for oldies or just asked for a donation.

Most dog charities email/post you an adoption form that you need to complete before you view a dog, so they can match a dog in their care to the potential new owner.

most rescues get you to fill in the form after meeting you at the centre.

However most of these adoption forms have a tick box which says something along the lines of
"i agree to pay a donation of £140" Which is ok but then you'd pay the same for a 4 yr old dog as you would a 12 year old. I know a lot of people would be embarassed about asking for a discount if the dog is old or has an illness from an animal charity so just don't bother considering the oldies at all.

that's just stating the standard adoption fee, not saying they wont negotiate accordingly

I put a cross in this box and stated as i wanted a much older dog i wouldn't be willing to pay this fee but would be willing to pay a smaller one This is one of the actual replys i received..

" Unfortunately our donation for adopting a dog is a minumum of £140. This
donation is used towards the costs of neutering, vaccinating worming etc all of
our dogs and also towards any vetinary treatment that the dogs require which in
some cases can run to hundreds and thousands of pounds.

As you are not in a position to afford this minumum donation right now, we would
not be able to proceed with your application"

thats not so encouraging, but you state most rescues, then only quote one reply from one rescue, so that doesnt equate the other rescues have said the same?

I have during my research adopted a very very sweet border collie, a very old 9 yr old who hasn't had a very good life and comes with some ailments I did get him from one of the charities mention above and i did ask if i could pay less for him than the required donation, which they agreed to because they did put his welfare first
So they are now a deserving charity in my eyes and i will do my best this year to raise some money for them
good to hear

Should point out they didn't offer to reduce his donation, they did ask me for the full amount but i asked if they could reconsider the amount because he is a very old for his age and on medication.

as they reduced the fee to rehome the dog, thats the right result, isnt it?
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'm also sure they get far more charitable funds coming in via donations from wills than they do by "selling" these poor dogs in any case!
"Sure"?

Had sight of their accounts?

The rescue I assist has yet to receive a legacy.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
"Sure"?

Had sight of their accounts?

The rescue I assist has yet to receive a legacy.
Us as well, would be lovely if someone did leave us their house.

I think you need to look at some of the other rescues, a lot don't have kennels, a lot have lovely people who take these dogs into their own homes, a lot work tirelessly to ensure its the RIGHT home for the dog, not a home at any cost, theres nothing worse than upsetting a dog by having it bounce back they have been through enough without coming back. The donation is just that a donation its not for that particular dog its to help the next one that comes through.
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Have to agree that rescue policies should be at a responsible person's discretion. If someone wants an oldie with medical problems then obviously checks need to be done to see that that person has the means to pay for the treatment, but other than that if the home is right in all other ways then let the poor old dog live out the rest of his/her life in contentment.

I help CYDRA (Cyprus Dogs Rehoming Association) both with fostering and selling donated items on my market stall, plus the occasional grooming and although we are not a charity at the moment (paperwork being done at the moment, but it is difficult as a lot of it has to be done in Greek and most of us are from the UK), if someone wants a dog from us living in Cyprus from what I have been led to believe if the dog is still in a shelter - yes we work closely with the shelters then they have to pay the shelter, but if it is one that has been found and is living in a foster home then the only charge is towards vet fees, and food to enable the foster home to carry on looking after another dog.

I also think some of their policies are a bit outdated in regards to living in a flat, because I know of a few people in the UK that would love to take a rescue dog in (since meeting mine) but the rescues won't entertain it, even though the dog would be with the person 99% of the time.

I hope you don't think I have gone off topic, just giving my opinion on rescues both in UK and here in Cyprus.
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »