Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-06-2005, 10:37 AM

Reccomendations for chewing

Florrie, our Westie cross Dandie Dinmont, puppy is just about 5 and a half months old. And she is starting to chew like crazy!
She has toys, Raw Hide chews etc. But she is still chewing, i think she is loosing her canine teeth, i may be wrong tho. It just seems that she is chewing extra hard things, and making light work of them, in hardly any time. SO any reccomendations on things for chewing puppies?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Hi Luke

It fits about right.. Luna were 5-6 months old, when she lost her puppyteeth

I used rawhide chews.. You can give her ice cubes or wet cloths frosen, that will ease the soreness and pain..

I made the mistake of giving Luna a raw bone around that time, and unfortunately she got a runny tummy and kept having that for a month!!!!

Some puppies can have problems with their tummy during teeth switch..

Ooh and when she starts loosing her teeth you should soften her food with water..

Good luck.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Hi Luke

Archie will be 5 months in 2 days and he has just one canine left

I give him carrots, anything frozen is good, ice cubes, and have tried a big rawhide but I think it's a bit hard for him right now... he seems to prefer the raggers and soft toys for chewing at the moment.

If she is making a mess of the hard things try stuffing a kong with yoghurt or gravy or something she really likes, and freezing it
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2005, 07:11 PM
put raggers in water then freeze...pups love cold raggers to chew on
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2005, 09:33 PM
If she is chewing furniture etc, you can buy sprays to discourage them
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Hello all,
thanks for the seful information, after the bone fiasco, we were deperate, tried the raggers, soaked in water and put in the freezer, and it has worked a treat. She is mouthing away at it as we speak.
A big thing happened today on doggy front, so things a bit hectic. So thanks, and yes Heather she is chewing the furniture, but the ragger idea has sought to that
best wishes