Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 12:43 PM

Party Food

If you were having a late afternoon/evening buffet, but didn't have the time/want to do sandwiches, what nibbles would you have?

We are thinking that we'd have the usual quiche, pizza, crisps, nuts, dips etc., and samosas, spring rolls, sausage rolls, onion bhajis, cocktail sausages, cheese & pineapple but I can't help feeling that I have forgotten something so important We have discussed vol-au-vents but decided against them and we will be having vegetarian equivalents to certain items.

As our wedding is at 10.30 in the morning we don't think we are going to have the time to make the sandwiches, we don't want to do them the night before as we would want them fresh, and we don't think it would be right to be making them after the ceremony whilst the guests are hovering. Neither of us thinks we would have enough time before the ceremony as we will be getting ourselves all gorgeous Thats the only reason there is a sandwich ban

Clive is planning on popping sausages and anything else that needs heating/cooking into the oven during the afternoon ready for the evening but I don't think that either of us will really want to be bothered with that when we are supposed to be relaxing and chatting with our guests...especially as I don't drink very much but will be having champers on the day *hic*

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Sounds fine too me. Any salad bits maybe like tomatoes, celery lettuce or is that a bit too much bother when you will be busy. Or you could do some carrot batons and celery baton for the dips.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Sounds fine too me. Any salad bits maybe like tomatoes, celery lettuce or is that a bit too much bother when you will be busy. Or you could do some carrot batons and celery baton for the dips.
Thanks Lynn, we could buy the salad already washed in bags and I think you can buy the carrot already done for dips too...I shall add those to my list
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm sure no-one will miss sandwhiches if there is plenty of everything else.

I'd go to somewhere like Iceland - they tend to do pretty good value party snack type foods and they have all sorts.

Chicken drumsticks and tiger prawns generally go down quite well.

most of the stuff is fine served cold so you could cook it all the day before and just stick it in the fridge till you need it. Are there no friends who have offered to help out?

PS - it doesn't matter what food bits you forget....just don't forget the champagne
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I'm sure no-one will miss sandwhiches if there is plenty of everything else.

I'd go to somewhere like Iceland - they tend to do pretty good value party snack type foods and they have all sorts.

Chicken drumsticks and tiger prawns generally go down quite well.

most of the stuff is fine served cold so you could cook it all the day before and just stick it in the fridge till you need it. Are there no friends who have offered to help out?

PS - it doesn't matter what food bits you forget....just don't forget the champagne
Thanks Fiona Clive did say about popping to Iceland for some bits, but I had totally forgotten about the range they do.

Our neighbour across the road has offered her services for the day, my parents and my sister and BIL will be here the day before, but its just storing everything once it's been cooked or having to thaw etc. I know my mum would happily spend the day making sandwiches, (they never thought they'd get rid of me ), but its just storing them to keep fresh.

We've already got the champagne, we bought it this week just to make sure...looks like I shall be legless in the photos
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Thanks Fiona Clive did say about popping to Iceland for some bits, but I had totally forgotten about the range they do.

We've already got the champagne, we bought it this week just to make sure...looks like I shall be legless in the photos
I see you have the priorities right

Are you going to have any kind of dessert (or is that wedding cake)?

If so, again you should be able to keep it simple with a few different cakes cut into slices for people to help themselves.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I see you have the priorities right

Are you going to have any kind of dessert (or is that wedding cake)?

If so, again you should be able to keep it simple with a few different cakes cut into slices for people to help themselves.
We thought we would get some gateaux, we have both joined Costco recently and they do some really nice ones in there. Plus we shall get some little cup cakes etc., as we have several children for the evening do, so we need to cater for them too.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 01:13 PM
I like fruit too, e.g grapes, strawberries, blueberries, etc. Maybe some cheese too? You can get pre-wrapped cheese such as Cathedral if you don't fancy chopping. Olives? Crackers or breadsticks possibly? Pasta/rice/couscous bowls perhaps?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Mmmm sounding good. I always forget about Iceland and there great range of party food.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I like fruit too, e.g grapes, strawberries, blueberries, etc. Maybe some cheese too? You can get pre-wrapped cheese such as Cathedral if you don't fancy chopping. Olives? Crackers or breadsticks possibly? Pasta/rice/couscous bowls perhaps?
Ooh yes, a cheese board is a good idea, with some grapes...not sure about the other fruit, will have to have a look into that. Crackers and breadsticks are another great idea, thank you