Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2012, 07:10 PM

Smelly Grass/Lawn (dog pee)

Now that the weather is picking up a bit i've noticed over the last few days that our lawn really stinks of stale dog wee (lovely, i know!).

Aside from stopping the dog peeing on the lawn which will be impossible is there anything i can use on the lawn to get rid of the smell?? It's also not really big enough to just have one section for the dog.

We've tried watering/rinsing it every day but as it also doesn't drain very well we try not to overwater it.

Any help much appreciated!!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-06-2012, 02:05 PM
/Moved to general dog chat - Hopefully someone will have some idea here Esme. /

How about diluting some tea-tree oil in a bucket of water and splashing it over the offending parts? I'm not sure whether that's safe mind
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Hi! I know exactly where you're coming from, it's revolting isn't it!

I've had this problem, but on the gravel and flags in my garden. I posted on here about it a few weeks back, I had some great ideas from people and after trying several different ones, the one that was the best, and Ive stuck to, was Zoflora. It's quite expensive for what you get, but it is so strong its actually working out not much dearer than bleach. You need a old bottle with a spray, like a flash or Febreze (washed out WELL) put about a third of the zoflora in and top it up with water about two thirds up. Mines lasted ages! It smells really nice, AND it's a disinfectant so it does two jobs at once.

I rinse with water first to help wash away the pee, then when its soaked most of the water away, give it a good spray with the Zoflora/water mix!

Hope it works for you, good luck!

x
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Improving the drainage and watering the grass every day would help in the long run.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2012, 02:36 PM
I did a thread on this ages ago. For some reason mine smells more in winter. Some good info here

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=159623