register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Poll - Do you agree you should be alpha male over your dog?
Yes 70 39.33%
No 71 39.89%
Other, please specify 37 20.79%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 36 of 92 « First < 26 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 46 86 > Last »
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Just to say, not much to contribute as busy working at harmonising with my pet ;o) but am reading with interest!

x
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I've done something right then today Ben !! Honestly my OH gets more and more cranky every day, silly old fart that he is !

I don't make my dog wait behind me whilst I go through doors first, and down the stairs first. I like him to be in front of me where I can keep an eye on him !! This goes back to the days of Hal when, if he was behind me, the bloody git would stick his nose up my bum ! So I much prefer the dog to be in front where I can kick HIS bum if needs be !!

Yes I prefer to have them where I can see them
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2009, 07:13 PM
I've done something right then today Ben !! Honestly my OH gets more and more cranky every day, silly old fart that he is !

I don't make my dog wait behind me whilst I go through doors first, and down the stairs first. I like him to be in front of me where I can keep an eye on him !! This goes back to the days of Hal when, if he was behind me, the bloody git would stick his nose up my bum ! So I much prefer the dog to be in front where I can kick HIS bum if needs be !!

Sorry but that made me laugh
I stopped mine from coming down the stairs behind me, the day Ice knocked me flying on the stairs and I knocked myself unconcious! I woke up in a heap and found Ice asleep on the sofa.. Couldnt tell him off for it though, someone was posting something through the door as I was coming down the stairs, and fatman came charging down them and couldnt stop himself from crashing into me.
Would have been interesting to see what C.S.I would have made of that though, if i'd not woken up!

I too am reading this thread with interest.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Hey Bugzy ! Your dog obviously thinks your Alpha and was trying to stage a take-over !!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Just to say, not much to contribute as busy working at harmonising with my pet ;o) but am reading with interest!

x
Hi Pidge !!
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks for that ! I definitely disagree very strongly with that theory, so not sure why Promethean brought it up !
Because that what your example of raising wolves and the effects on the pups was all about.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Promethean : I have seen the evidence of this with my own eyes !!

Please don't say I'm not telling the truth ! I don'thave a good understanding of biology, but I have the evidence of my own experience and my own eyes !
Gnasher,
I was not suggesting you were lying, only mistaken.
I think you mistake a personal experience for evidence. There is a reason we don't base our scientific views on the personal experiences of people, specially a non expert. Not to get to full of myself by this takes us into a discussion of epistemology and you are using your belief and presenting it as fact.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-04-2009, 10:42 PM
It's true about some of our backyards, I could use my as an official football field.

Hate to disagree (not really) but hybrids are inherently unstable and cannot be trusted they way you do a dog. There is also a European study, I came across during my university years that also confirmed these anecdotal stories. In Europe, if you almost all wolf attacks turn out to be hybrids. This included escaped pets and feral hybrids - the details escape my because I think it was in French.... This in not a North American problem.

If you research some of these stories, the hybrids living accommodations and training was similar to what you suggest. In one case I recall, an experienced owner, witnessed an attack when his little girl fell in the backyard and vocalized which triggered the dog-wolf hybrid to attack.

Unlike dogs, hybrids do not have stable identities. By this, I mean that while you can confidently predict behavioral characteristics of dogs - even breeds - this cannot be done reliably with hybrids.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I don't buy the DNA link between wolves and dogs as a reason to perpetuate the alpha dog theory, apparently it has been discovered humans share a percentage of DNA with cabbages and bananas , need I say more.
And similar TOR signalling pathways with yeast and HOX with mice and fruit flies and ....

BASE alignment is not enough
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 06:21 AM
During our researches of wolves and wolf crosses, it became as clear as crystal to us, both from being told this by people who had wolves and wolf crosses, and from our readings and researches, that with these dogs you had to be firm but fair, you had to be Alpha. Otherwise you would be in Trouble with a capital T.

This bit's quite interesting - because I suspect most of their info would be based on the Schenkel idea of pack hierarchy/alpha - well, where else would they have got it from

Don't get me wrong, we have to be a leader/parent/guardian or whatever we want to call it, and if we don't train dogs or help them understand what is required, they will find their own jobs to do or get into what we'd call mischief, or just be very hard to live with.

From what you said in an earlier post though, you are not implementing any of the "pack" rules linked to pack theory but, you are simply being a good leader.

Now, that isn't the same as being an alpha (because by definition, in the context of this discussion, alpha is related to the Schenkel hierarchy system, which may mean physically fighting for "position" ) It (being a leader/guardian/parent etc) is perhaps not much different from what (for example) I may do

I expect you will disagree though

So, when we first watched CM on our new digital tv, it was a revolution for me ! My OH said "I told you so, this is what I have been telling you all along".
Well, your OH was listening to someone who believes a raised paw is a sign of dominance. Which is totally wrong information, no doubt about it
(but let's not get into a CM discussion! )

It is NEVER too late, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks, and for the next year I turned Hal from being a grumpy old wolf, with an appalling recall and a huge tendency to kill chickens, into a well behaved and reasonably obedient wolf, who would walk past the chickens off lead and not exactly ignore them, but at least would not try and eat them !

I hope I have explained this well.
How exactly did you do this though? it would be interesting to know .

Wys
x
Page 36 of 92 « First < 26 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 46 86 > Last »