Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sreebh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-12-2015, 02:31 PM

Dog with a femur fracture

Hello everyone

This is one of my rescues, a three-month old puppy. He is one of the 4 pups of a stray dog we see everyday. 4 days ago, I saw this pup was hiding beneath some wood, and seemed to be in pain, so I took him home (the mother is friendly, so she allowed me to take him). People in the neighborhood told me that a scooter had hit one of the pups the other day, so this must be the one who was hit.

I took him to the vet and Xrays were taken. There is a clear fracture of the femur in the left hind leg. The vet told me that since it is a pup, there is not enough bone structure to do a surgery and place pins ( I guess they don't have the kind of small pins for pups). He said he shall bandage the leg, wait for a week, and then decide whether to apply a cast or not.

The bandaging was done in such a manner as to involve both the leg and part of the body (2-3 rounds of bandage around the lower belly), but this part of the bandage around the belly is coming loose, and interfering with his other hind leg, so I cut it off. He is walking around with his other three legs, and when the vet checked him yesterday, callus formation has started but there is a slight bend (malunion). I got him re-bandaged yesterday, but the part around his body is still coming loose.

I wish he would use the leg again, as I will have to give him back to his mother soon. I live in a flat, and I already have a dog, so keeping another is bit of a problem. Will the bend in the leg be a problem? What is the general prognosis for such fractures?

Thanks in advance for all advice.