Our sister sites
Our sister sites
vickinicks
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2007, 05:15 PM

where do I start????

Hi all
Now I've never showed a dog before and I'd like to have a go even if it's just for fun. Where do I start and how do you get your dog to pose? There is a puppy compition (can't spell) in a few weeks just for fun at our puppy class and I thought I'd enter Shanook so as I have an advantage of having you guys for advice I though I'd better ask you very nice people
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Vicki start by asking your breeders as they will let you know procedure and how to start.

It's not that hard, it's just knowing how to gain the attention of your dog and making his stand still long enough. Start going over her with your hands and asking strangers/family/friends to do this and check teeth so they are used to it.
vickinicks
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Vicki start by asking your breeders as they will let you know procedure and how to start.

It's not that hard, it's just knowing how to gain the attention of your dog and making his stand still long enough. Start going over her with your hands and asking strangers/family/friends to do this and check teeth so they are used to it.
Ok will do that thank you
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2007, 07:30 PM
you would also benefit from going to ringcraft classes as well
vickinicks
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Border1 View Post
you would also benefit from going to ringcraft classes as well
Can't seem to find any in my area? Anybody know of any in cornwall?
noubi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2007, 06:34 AM
if you can find a ringcraft class then see if you can find somebody who shows the same breed as you and ask if they will help you, most are willing to offer help.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Hi, I am a 10 yr old English Setter 'showdog' and I HATE it. However, my children and grandkids dont. They all go to Ringcraft and if you email the Kennel Club via their website they will send you a list of ones held locally. Its also useful to go to a local dog show to see what happens and chat to people - again the KC will tell you when and where. Thalice-Malice XX
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2007, 10:35 AM
I don't think Companion shows are as stringent on the dogs pose etc.. I would think as long as she is obedient and will stand on command then you should be ok..

If she does grow up to be long coated then you can't really show her in anything other than companion shows..
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2007, 10:57 AM
I think even at companion shows the judge likes to 'go over' the dog - i.e. assess it by feeling it.

So it would be good to get your dog used to being handled and gone over - they will look at teeth, and feel the dog pretty much all over including length of tail possibly - depending on the breed

Ringcraft is a good place to start if you can - how I found my rinfcraft was via my breeder who basically just found someone who lived near me in the breed members list and asked them!

She then became my mentor and still is a v. good friend.

Good luck and - have fun is the best advice I was ever given!