Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I like the idea she's attempting to play too, which means she's either on the mend, or at least maybe feeling slightly better which is good. At the back of my mind, because this has been going on for a while, my instinct is telling me it's something you're giving her that's constantly upsetting her, so my advice to you would be to definitely have a word with the vet tomorrow. I don't want to sound condescending or anything like that, but is your meat coming from a good reliable source, and are you keeping it in strict hygienic conditions as you would for human consumption - it's just nagging at me that this might be the cause, something to do with her raw food that's all! Sorry! Make sure you tell the vet how you keep the food and how you feed it etc. etc. Is she getting it frozen to eat??? Are you defrosting it in a warm room???? Things like that are quite important with raw food, I only know this coz I used to be in the catering business and I've done all my exams about food and food hygiene. Sorry, I don't want to sound like you're doing it all wrong, I'm just trying to help out here!

Thank you for the post Helena.

I am glad she is playfull too, it makes me relieved as she cant be drasticly ill if she still wants fun.

I get my meat from the butcher I always have used for myself and my partner, his meat is good quality and fresh, I dont buy 'cheap' meat for my dog and dont worry, I do keep my meat refrigerated and buy fresh several times a week.

I also always check the meat to make sure I dont feed her anything that is going off or that dosent look/smell right or anything like that...

I am a very hygenic person and would not risk storing food in any unsanetery conditions.
I also wash the meat with warm water throughly before I give it her so there is no bacteria on it.

I would never give her frozen food to eat so dont worry about that..

If I do freeze some meat, I defrost it in the refridgerator and put it in there the night before the day she will eat it, and I make sure it is throughly defrosted before feeding it to her, and also I leave it to warm up a little before she eats it, as I dont want her to get cold on her tummy.

I also never re-freeze meat, I know about the dangers of doing that.

I was thinking before about everything we did yesterday and there is one thing that is nagging at me, I will tell the vet about it tomorrow dont worry.

We went to DoveStones Resoviour yesterday afternoon, and both me and my partner were a bit disgisted as we saw her picking up sheep poo in her mouth!

We dont think she ate any, and we made sure he dropped it all out of her mouth and didnt get any again, although she did try...

Do you think that may be the cause of her illness?

Thanks guys, your advice and support has been most appreciated. xxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that so many dogsey dogs are under the weather and I hope they all feel better soon.
Bles.
I can't add to the excellent advice already given.
It's that time of year though, sadly, lots of stagnant puddles and rotting leaves for dogs to investigate means lots more cases of upset tums.
Big healing hugs to all.
Axxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 08:14 PM
I know, I know, that's just how I felt when I had to starve mine! Especially as she's not the type of dog to pester for food as you've said before, but it's more important that she drinks. The worst thing you can give her is any of her treats, as this might be the cause of it all! I can imagine how upset you're feeling, as I've been there myself many a time. Let's just hope she has a good night and see what the vet comes up with tomorrow. Try not to upset yourself too much, I know it's hard. I once had a little spaniel puppy who had distemper and it was awful for me and her of course! She wouldn't eat anything either for days on end, and my vet told me to give her anything that she would eat, just to get her on the mend, but I went through a terrible time with her I can tell you. If Jess had something really bad like that, your vet would have spotted it instantly I'm sure of that, so keep your finger's crossed that she's just picked up a bug or something, and please mention about ALL the food you give her including treats, there just might be something that's upsetting her there. Take care.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 08:22 PM
You posted at the same time as me there!!!
Now, somebody on here either Dougiepit or Leospride told me about something you have to do with the raw meat before you give it to your dog, but I can't remember what it is!!!! That's typical of me!!! Do you know what you have to do with the meat before you feed it, coz I know I was very surprised when she told me about it, I really thought you just give them raw meat, but apparently that's not the case!!! Help somebody please???? What is it you do with the meat before feeding it in the raw state, I really can't remember, and maybe this is what's happening here????

The sheep poo could be a possible cause, but like horse poo, they are vegetarians so there shouldn't be anything really harmful in there Having said that, my dog got very sick once after eating some of my horse's poo and my vet told me "no more horse poo for her, please!!!!" You could have something there. Maybe they had given the sheep something that they passed out in their droppings and she might have picked it up, just don't know do you!
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-12-2006, 08:24 PM
I feed my two raw meat. I always freeze it first then thaw it over night for feeding next day. The freezing kills any bacteria that may have been there I believe.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 08:28 PM
There's definitely something you have to do with it first though, coz when Leospride told me about it, I was quite shocked thinking that I had often given my dogs raw mince in the past not thinking anything of it??? Maybe I can pm her and ask her again about it. I think I even said to her at the time that she should put up a thread about that coz I'm sure other people didn't realise you have to do ???? with it first!!! I wish I could remember!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Starving any dog, but especially a puppy, is really hard, but believe me, it is the right thing to do. Stay strong honey, and I hope Jess (and Takoda and Tikaani) recover quickly *hugs* xx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 08:39 PM
I remember reading something about raw mince, but can't remember what it is - apart from it should definitely be frozen and then thawed out to kill bacteria.

Moss was really sick as a pup - he was vomiting and had the runs - awful black runny goo He had to be starved too, and it was really hard and very upsetting, but it is for the best. We worked it out that the cause was probably a raw marrowbone he had eaten. It seemed a little manky when I bought it, but the butcher had assured me it was fresh

I hope all the dogsey dogs are well again soon.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
There's definitely something you have to do with it first though, coz when Leospride told me about it, I was quite shocked thinking that I had often given my dogs raw mince in the past not thinking anything of it??? Maybe I can pm her and ask her again about it. I think I even said to her at the time that she should put up a thread about that coz I'm sure other people didn't realise you have to do ???? with it first!!! I wish I could remember!
I will appreciate knowing this if there is something I am not doing correctly Helena.

I got alot of advice before I began feeding raw, but I cannot think what u mean...
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2006, 02:17 AM
Hi Jess

It doesn't sound as if she has been sick an alarming amount of times so don't worry too much I'm sure she is going to be fine.

Please don't worry about not giving her food for the first day or so, Takoda is on his third day now and only just this evening did he have two scrambled eggs and the honey / yoghurt and water mix that I mentioned before.

It really does sound like what you are doing with the meat you feed her is fine, honestly, infact more than fine. More cautious than me as both my dogs get the odd frozen rmb in the summer as they are fine with them. All my dogs meat is fresh like yours but sometimes somethings have partially defrosted and I have refrozen them and they are still fine...You still need to be careful of course but there are differences in the handling of meat for people in comparison to dogs and you need not take any more special precautions than what you are already doing in my opinion.

Although this is more than likely a bug right now...For the future do keep a food diary to help pin point any problem areas of foods she may be intolerant too that would be great...But don't let the vet talk you out of raw feeding and straight onto prescription food! Give Jess time to settle and learn by trial and error.

Remember if you need 'expert' advice on your raw feeding regime you can always ask at britbarf too

In the meantime try not to worry to much. My Keena always had a funny tummy throughout puppy hood and she was fed commercial dog food all that time, so don't let the vet tell you it's only because you feed raw...these things happen no matter what sometimes.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »