Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CrazySpanielLad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Walking to heel, Tips Please?

Hoping someone will be able to help me here.
If you dont know already, I have a 13 week C*cker Spaniel, and a 23 week Springer Spaniel.

Normally, I walk the C*cker, and OH walks the Springer, At different times, so one of us can stay in with our little Boy.
If we take him out with us, whoever walks the Springer, pushes the pushchair, as he walks nicely alongside it! (The only time he ever does walk nicely if Im Honest! )

This morning, OH was running a little late, So I took both dogs out together, and the whole time, I was spinning round, Getting Pulled along by the Springer and having to pull the c*ocker behind, Constantly swapping leads behind my back as they kept crossing eachother, and Tripping over them as they crossed my path!

So I think Something needs doing about our walking Manners? Maybe not manners but I cant think of a better word!

I understand that they are both excited to get out for their First walk, so havent been telling them off or anything, Thought Id pop in here just to ask for tips.
Obviously, I need to work on them seperately first. Am I right?

The c*cker isnt Strong atall, as shes just a weeny little thing, But The springer has really got some strength in him now! I know I should have probably started this earlier, but Hes never really pulled until now, or I just havent noticed because if I ever take him out hes normally walking nicely alongside the pushchair!

Oh dear, sorry Im rambling now.

Problem One : A strong Springer, He sometimes walks nicely then just randomly shoots off and Pulls your arm off in the process, and sometimes doesnt walk nicely atall and just tanks everywhere!

Problem Two : Excitable C*cker Puppy, (Which I know cant be helped really) crossing your path, tripping you up ect and Trying to pull ahead. Although shes small so not strong like the springer!

Do I need to maybe Buy them harnesses, Or will that just give them more to pull against?

I'd like a nice pair of doggies that walk to heel! Help please?

Thanks in advance.

And cookies if you read it all
boredinstroud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2011, 11:34 AM
You're brave having 2 but bet they're lush My girly has seemingly lost her walking 'manners' since being spayed when she was kept in after the op and then didn't get much time outside 'cause of the lethal ice.

So I am returning to how I taught her - basically every time she pulls I turn around and walk in the other direction. The first time when I started this it was incredibly frustrating and seemed like she would never get the idea - so you might want to put some time aside! But it did work (even tho I must have looked like such a freak walking about 2 metres back and forth outside my house!). Once she 'got' the idea it got easier to just reinforce it during the walk. It's always harder when she's just starting out as she is bouncy but if I stick to the rule, zero-tolerance it does work!

Anyow, I'm sure other more experienced people will have even better advice. One more thing, if I were you, I'd get them walking well separately before trying them both at once - it takes enough focus and concentration just with one - I can't imagine how two mad pups would be!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 11:44 AM
I would simply train them to walk nicely. Take them out a couple of times a day separately and teach loose-lead walking (Change direction every time they walk ahead or off course, twist and turn till they follow you, then praise and carry on).
When both are walking nicely, try it with two. Only walk a short distance - don`t give them a chance to build bad habits.
When that`s going well, add the pushchair.
You can just add harnesses/ head collars, shout a lot, or resort to ever increasing methods of control, but really - they`re not being difficult on purpose. They`re not walking well because you haven`t shown them what you want them to do.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I would simply train them to walk nicely. Take them out a couple of times a day separately and teach loose-lead walking (Change direction every time they walk ahead or off course, twist and turn till they follow you, then praise and carry on).
When both are walking nicely, try it with two. Only walk a short distance - don`t give them a chance to build bad habits.
When that`s going well, add the pushchair.
You can just add harnesses/ head collars, shout a lot, or resort to ever increasing methods of control, but really - they`re not being difficult on purpose. They`re not walking well because you haven`t shown them what you want them to do.
what she said.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 03:07 PM
I use this method
http://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup#.../0/sFgtqgiAKoQ
rewarding for the right position and teaching what to do when the lead goes tight
It works nicely - although mine do get distracted sometimes

but when I first got Mia she was a nightmare - screaming, biting my legs, taking runups to try and get me to drop the lead
snoopy1239
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Hi. I'm having a similar problem. I have a 4 month old Puli who goes on two walks a day. Sometimes, he's well behaved, but often he is trying to race ahead. When he's not doing that, he's either zig-zagging back and forth (I also have to change hands with the lead) or turning and wrestling his own lead. I spend most of the time stopping, saving 'leave it' and trying to grapple some dirty sock out of his mouth.

If I stop, he'll stop eventually, and then just pull the lead again once we start moving. Same with changing direction. Like a previous poster, I end up stopping every couple of metres, and it's tiring, not to mention embarrassing.

I've tried using commands, such as heel, and also treating him when he walks next to me, but these only seem temporary, and he'll soon go back into this own little world. I would let him off the leash, but he only seems to come to me when he wants to, so I have no doubt that he'll leg it if released and completely ignore my recall commands.

Any tips would be appreciated as I get really jealous when I see other dogs calmly walking by their owners.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by snoopy1239 View Post

Any tips would be appreciated as I get really jealous when I see other dogs calmly walking by their owners.
Use the `drunken walk ` method as above. Treat him when he`s in the right place. Change direction when he`s not.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 06:00 PM
I really empathise and think you're brave for walking two together

My young Lab pulls like you wouldn't believe. I tried all of the methods suggested - they work for lots of dogs, but for my dog,they did not work. Here's what did:

Take a bag with some really high value treats - cheese, liver chews, chicken,whatever your dog will love. (Do this separately with each dog).

Hold the treat just in front of them, roughly where you want them to be walking, then give the 'heel' command and start walking. At first you'll have to give them a treat every other step - then you'll find gradually over a week you can reduce how often you treat until eventually you're hardly doing it. This worked for me as of course my dog being a Lab will do almost anything for food...!

Really hope that helps.

If you end up getting a harness, make sure it's an anti pull harness, otherwise it won't help.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 06:06 PM
I have a springer who is 25 weeks old and it really seems to be two steps forward three back, his adolescence has really kicked in this week, and it looks like he doesnt even recognise his name when he is 'going off on one'!

I am trying the change direction etc but no impact so far, keep persevering!
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-01-2011, 06:17 PM
8 month Cocker who is getting better using stop/start/drunken walk but not quite there yet.
obviously wants to pull if he thinks we are going somewhere he wants to go.
If he gets to full lead I stop.
He leans into it a bit ,turns and looks, then walks back around me into heel position.
So he knows where he should be, he is getting better but sometimes still pushing it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >