Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Because unless it is in a sack at the edge of the property it will not be collected, so while some may buy their own wheelie bin, normal dustbin or store it in the garage until they have to put it out for collection, it's while it's out for collection that it gets raided.
Others don't give a damn and leave rubbish in their front gardens for months on end and don't clear up if it's ripped open, as with everything in life some do the right thing and some don't give a toss.
Hope you don't think i'm getting at you (or anyone)!

Why can't people put the sack out on the morning of collection, then there is less time for it to get ripped open etc?

I know they can get collected early (mine do), but surely if it stops more rubbish being around, and animals raiding them etc it's worth it!
I have to put my alarm on for 7am and go out in my dressing gown to put my bin out! (but thats due to animals of a different kind - stealing bins - if you put them out the night before!).

Well, I suppose a lot of people do, but you're always going to get some people who can't be arsed lol
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 09:55 AM
i havent read all the thread, just the first few pages.

i feel sorry for the two girls, and hope they make a good recovery. but i do not agree with killing the fox, IMO it is sick. foxes are wild animals, but why do people feel the right to control everything! as long as we are all safe, then **** everything else on the planet! i hate this superiority people have, so many people go out and hunt, or kill and torture animals but we dont go round killing the people responsibility for that. animals have just as much right to be here as we do. we have already encroached on their homes already, so where are they meant to go?? we have caused this situation!

i personally would NEVER leave a door open when i was in a room in which i couldnt see it. even if there were no dogs/babies or anything like that in the house. not only could an animal come in, but a person could too! i have heard stories of people sitting in the living room, a person comes in through an open door an steals their possessions! in my house, we leave the back door open but for anyone or animal, to come in they would have to pass us if we were in the living room. so we do it, but we know, no harm could come to jake or the kids. and if we couldnt see anyone coming in, then the door wouldnt be left open. we are all aware of many dangers around us, so we should do what we can to prevent them. if we dont, then we need to take responsibility and not kill innocent animals.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post

Why can't people put the sack out on the morning of collection, then there is less time for it to get ripped open etc?

I know they can get collected early (mine do), but surely if it stops more rubbish being around, and animals raiding them etc it's worth it!
I have to put my alarm on for 7am and go out in my dressing gown to put my bin out! (but thats due to animals of a different kind - stealing bins - if you put them out the night before!).

Well, I suppose a lot of people do, but you're always going to get some people who can't be arsed lol

I don't know about London, Hevvur, but once recently when our bin was overflowing, I put a bag on top (lid open) thinking it would be ok for an hour or two before collection. Went in, looked out of the window and there were 3 cats buzzing around (one of my well fed cats included ) it trying to rip the sack open literally just as I turned my back. The foxes are not a problem here but cats are.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
...and now for those that dont agree to feeding foxes and badgers and for those who do -

This is one of the foxes that my brother in law feeds waiting to be fed.... Taken two weeks ago.

Beautiful creature
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post

Hi Hevvur, no I don't think you're getting at me at all, obvioiusly different areas have different systems etc for rubbish collection. I have lived in boroughs that had wheelie bins and the fox population was pretty similar to the area in which I now live tbh. We do have a wheelie bin which we bought but it takes up the side access way and makes getting past it virtually impossible. We store our rubbish in the garage out of the way and I set an alarm for 6am to put the bags out. The problem is the bags may be collected at 6.30 or 10 am or anytime in between which isn't great but I guess they have reasons such as having to cover another run etc. We have 2 collections from our house on the same day every week, one for recycling sacks and one for rubbish sacks, the rubbish is generally the earlier one. Many people put the rubbish out the night before and the rest put them out in the early morning but they can be out there for anything upto 4 hours in which time they can get ripped apart. When bags are ripped open people seem reluctant to pick the rubbish up and rebag it assuming they are aware of it because if they're out at work all they will see is strewn rubbish when they get home so it will have been hanging around all day long. The area is a pretty average well established owner occupier with lots of old people gradually being replaced by young families as the oldies pop their clogs or move away, so a fair cross section of people. Luckily we don't seem to be plagued by animals of the other kind. The local council trialed wheelie bins in a few areas of the borough but for some reason to do with lack of storage areas in older town centre properties the idea was discarded. I think they probably need to operate a wheelie bin system but allow those who have serious storage problems to still use bags, they're in the minority anyway.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Agree - and I dont believe the story either. Since when has an animal been innocent or guilt - its an animal and has no sense of guilt.
ahh its nice to see some one agree's with me!

even if the fox did attack, which it actually does seem likely, it does not mean every fox out there is going to hunt out babies and attack, and for people to start claiming or giving advice about keeping children/pets safe from foxes is (in my opinion) way over the top.. and to kill any they find in the traps because of one attack is in my eyes disgusting.

Its like we all sit here and complain when a dog attacks, and the press does an artice and the breed gets viewed in a bad light making out that the said breed are nasty and not just the dog that carried out the attack. I have lost count of how many times i have read 'deed not breed' on this very forum.

whys its different because its a fox? there animals and non the less deserve respect.

So next time a chinese crested (Il use my breed so not to upset anyone) nexts attacks some one i shall sit and wait for you all to say that any chinese crested seen after that attack should be caught and destroyed because when one chinese cresteds attacks it must mean all will...Just like it means now one fox has attacked all will..

Im sorry to hear one of the girls that was attacked has suffered life changing injuries, my thoughts are with the family.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i havent read all the thread, just the first few pages.

i feel sorry for the two girls, and hope they make a good recovery. but i do not agree with killing the fox, IMO it is sick. foxes are wild animals, but why do people feel the right to control everything! as long as we are all safe, then **** everything else on the planet! i hate this superiority people have, so many people go out and hunt, or kill and torture animals but we dont go round killing the people responsibility for that. animals have just as much right to be here as we do. we have already encroached on their homes already, so where are they meant to go?? we have caused this situation!

i personally would NEVER leave a door open when i was in a room in which i couldnt see it. even if there were no dogs/babies or anything like that in the house. not only could an animal come in, but a person could too! i have heard stories of people sitting in the living room, a person comes in through an open door an steals their possessions! in my house, we leave the back door open but for anyone or animal, to come in they would have to pass us if we were in the living room. so we do it, but we know, no harm could come to jake or the kids. and if we couldnt see anyone coming in, then the door wouldnt be left open. we are all aware of many dangers around us, so we should do what we can to prevent them. if we dont, then we need to take responsibility and not kill innocent animals.
Lozzi if this happened to your nephew would you be happy to let the live, in the same area where your nephew lives and just think its ok its a wild animal?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:23 AM
I think screen doors, like the ones they use in US and Aus and so on will maybe catch on in the UK in years to come,

I have to say I had given them some thought myself in the past due to my wasp phobia,

http://www.easyscreens.co.uk/

as to foxes, I have the pleasure of living along side both, urban and country types,

we used to have loads of fields behind our house that lead on to a nature reserve, a few years ago they built houses on much of the fields, leaving only the nature reserve and the one field behind my garden,

this field used to be alive with rabbits, but since the building started the foxes moved either to the reserve or to the field behind the house,
I have not seen a single rabbit there for over 4 years now, all scoffed I would think, over the last few years we have watched as the foxes have became more and more cocky, we often have loads of them padding up and down the road at night.

As of yet they have not shown any aggression, I have seen kobie { my cat } sat out on the street at the same time they are going along and they tend to just ignore him. BUT........I do worry about it, each year they become more and more confident/desperate depending on which way you look at it.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 06:32 PM
I have not read the whole thread either, has anyone proven it was actually a fox attack?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Nope not that im aware of..But the parents did say they saw it.
Page 19 of 20 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 >