View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 06:00 PM

Rescued Border collie (update @ post 65)

In case anyone hasnt seen, this is how I came to hear about this girl http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=161896

She was advertised as being 20 months old, upon going to see her her owner admitted that she is just 16 months...IMO she looks younger, but she had a litter in september so it may be that she just looks younger...
The fact that she is entire and coming into season next month was also advertised. I just felt that I needed to get her out of there.

When I arrived at the house, her owner got her out from the under stairs cupboard(tiny) where her bed consisted of clay? chippings (or something like that).
There were a couple of whippet puppies in a crate with no bed that they had messed in and were left to walk through, the house absolutely stank

Her name is winnie. She is absolutely skin and bone, I can feel every rib and every vertebrae (sp?).

She has no muscle tone whatsoever and upon getting her home she looks to have a deformed back leg- she walks with it at a very strange angle. I cant work out whether it is deformed/been broken and left to repair itself or if it is due to the zero muscle tone on her.
I have also found what looks to be an infected teat. Its very swollen and angry.

When she was let out of the cupboard the first thing she did was climb on me and try to be a neck warmer!
She is very sweet and already loves my 5 year old son.

I'm not planning on keeping her, I just wanted to rescue her from that situation and before someone that wanted to breed her got hold of her. Her owner was trying to encourage me to breed her and telling me what lovely pups she had last time etc. I think if she had a litter now it would kill her.

I had to pay £200 to get her out of there and will no doubt run up some veterinary costs for her- and i'm going to have her spayed when she is fit enough.

I feel very awkward asking this, but if any dogsey people could donate some money no matter how little, towards her rescue and veterinary costs I would be eternally grateful (Just PM if you can, thankyou)

I would appreciate any comments or advice regarding her leg in particular...I am leaning towards it being due to lack of muscle tone/poor diet? (so any advice on how to build up muscle tone without over doing it etc) than an actual deformity, but of course I will talk to the vet about it when I take her on monday.

I gave her a meal as soon as we got home, i've put her onto puppy food (dont know whether this is wise?) and she ate it in super quick time!

She has also met maverick...she wasnt too impressed (nothing OTT but enough to tell me to let her settle first) so I will leave the others until she is more settled and she can meet the girls on neutral territory.

Here she is...

This picture doesnt show how skinny she really is...

And her leg, again itsa hard to tell from a picture...
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 06:09 PM
have pm'd you
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Poor Winnie.

Thank goodness you got her out of there.

I'm trying very hard to get up to 20 posts so that I can PM you about donating.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Iv only just got home and read through the other thread.
Thank-you so much for helping this girl. I feel awful that I can't do more, seems iv just passed it on

She does look so skinny, poor mite.
I will happily donate, just tell me how.

I wish I had a larger house, Id take her in a heartbeat!

My fingers are crossed for her trip to the vets, hopefully she'll be fine with a few good meals and exercise for muscle tone.

Please keep me/ us posted hun x
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 06:13 PM
She is lovely! Well done for getting her out of there. Poor mite. I do hope someone can help you, I wouldn't like to say I could just incase I can't but if I can I will send you a PM..

Well done Layla!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Anniebee View Post
Poor Winnie.

Thank goodness you got her out of there.

I'm trying very hard to get up to 20 posts so that I can PM you about donating.
Aw, thankyou

Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Iv only just got home and read through the other thread.
Thank-you so much for helping this girl. I feel awful that I can't do more, seems iv just passed it on

She does look so skinny, poor mite.
I will happily donate, just tell me how.

I wish I had a larger house, Id take her in a heartbeat!

My fingers are crossed for her trip to the vets, hopefully she'll be fine with a few good meals and exercise for muscle tone.

Please keep me/ us posted hun x
But you brought her to my attention, otherwise I wouldnt have known about her so please dont feel bad about that!
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Did they say what the deal was with "not being able to handle more puppies"? Was she allowed to roam, or mixing with entire boys? Or do you think it was just an excuse?

Shes stunning well done xxx
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Dogsey people really are a special "Breed" I am crying here reading this, Thankyou for helping this gorgeous girl.

I am not in a position to help with costs, but if the situation changes soon I will.

Thanks and so much Karma for you
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Do you have a paypal account---if not can you set one up?

rune
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
Did they say what the deal was with "not being able to handle more puppies"? Was she allowed to roam, or mixing with entire boys? Or do you think it was just an excuse?

Shes stunning well done xxx
He didnt have entire males in the house but had an entire GSD in a kennel.
He basically said that they have a (human) baby due soon and they cant have pups from her "as it will be too much in the house and I cant not have pups from her" .. dont quite know what he meant but he said he bred from her on her first season.

Originally Posted by rune View Post
Do you have a paypal account---if not can you set one up?

rune
Yes I do
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »