View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:24 AM
But YOU take it personally as well by getting "quite offended" so if YOU are allowed to take things personally are others not to be afforded the same privilege?

You make blanket statements about the attitudes of others, other posters will respond in kind.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Azz, sorry but the whole fundraising thing is a huge issue, we couldnt possibly rely on the new owners doing a sponsored walk as the basis of their payment, we have huge costs, kenneling fees, medical bills, advertising etc and as \greyhound says the adoption fee barely covers that.

We charge a fair adoption fee, yet you still get the odd person asking to pay it up !! ( which we dont allow for obvious reasons)

Ultimately some people do see rescue dogs as the "cheap" option of getting hold of a breed they want, and will say anything to get that dog, therefore we must neuter the dogs to ensure that if for any reason that dog did end up in a situation less desirable ( which lets face it does occasionally happen) then at least it cant breed or be bred from to add to the problem'

Bearing in mind I am talking about staffies predominantly we just cannot take the fate of the 20 +staffies PTS every single day down to just having nowhere to go as people dont want staffies. Its that simple, how many times have we heard on here people coming on saying which breed would suit me ... I will have anything BUT a staffie.

We simply MUST neuter every dog as part of the problem with staffies is the overbreeding ( many from pretty bad example of the breed also), and just the vast quantities in rescue and being dumped daily.

I am sorry but I cant trust anyone who wont neuter their staffie yet claims to understand the problem they face presently. ( as per Rips post!)

Sal, I am not by any means saying that if you own a unneutered dog that you are irresponsible, moreso that for the MAJORITY who do, how many of them are making a conscious researched decision like you are/have and understand the risks that you then face with unneutered dogs in park etc, dogs in season and prepared to deal with that, and how many just havent bothered to get their dog done ( or the classic male response which tends to fall under " I am not getting his bits off")

I have to go along the lines of most people dont consider it, we on dogsey are the minority it seems not the majority !

Or certainly in my experience on what we get into rescue we are.

I wish I had a dogsey home for every dog we get in, we would rehome alot more.

Our dogs are just not moving at the moment, people just dont want staffies, and those that do are the ones we dont want to give to them.

greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
But YOU take it personally as well by getting "quite offended" so if YOU are allowed to take things personally are others not to be afforded the same privilege?

You make blanket statements about the attitudes of others, other posters will respond in kind.
Yes offended on the behalf of rescues when some people (and no i am not referring to you) who have no idea about whats involved say they should think of ways to make money and not ask for a donation for the dogs, what do they think rescues run on
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

i certainly get offended on the basis that rescues are implied they are doing something wrong by neutering, and questioning the policies they have.
9/.10 times they have them for the right reasons,
the making of other dogs inthe home to be neutured isnt an issue with us, other than if its down to a monetary issue in which case I wouldnt give them a second dog as they clearly couldnt afford it.

We dont have blanket policies, we are a small independent rescue doing a hard jobn so it irritates me when people make assumptions on our "blanket policies"

I would rehome to someone working full time providing they could show they have the facilities in place to ensure dog is getting walked etc during the day.

So you yourself are making blanket assumptions about rescue.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
i certainly get offended on the basis that rescues are implied they are doing something wrong by neutering, and questioning the policies they have.
9/.10 times they have them for the right reasons,
the making of other dogs inthe home to be neutured isnt an issue with us, other than if its down to a monetary issue in which case I wouldnt give them a second dog as they clearly couldnt afford it.

We dont have blanket policies, we are a small independent rescue doing a hard jobn so it irritates me when people make assumptions on our "blanket policies"

I would rehome to someone working full time providing they could show they have the facilities in place to ensure dog is getting walked etc during the day.

So you yourself are making blanket assumptions about rescue.

Oh dear get your tin hat out Danni i think you'll need it LOL
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
They don't and that's why I understand why they neuter,however I certainly don't think they should insist that the person who is willing to take on a neutered rescue dog,should have there own dogs neutered that is nothing to do with rescue.

I personally would love to do more to help with rescue(we donate)I would love to foster but can't at the moment because I have Meg here who is DA.
I agree i think its unreasonable for rescues to insist on any other dogs in the home to be neutered/spayed as you say that has nothing to do with the rescue and i can't really see why it would be an issue if the prospective dog from the rescue has been neutered
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Blimey!! You feisty lot!!
Personally I have no problem in people not neutering their own dogs if that's what they wish to do, but rescues need to neuter. The sheer volume of unwanted dogs that I alone see in the pound waiting to be PTS and the number of dogs in rescue will never change my mind on that.
But responsible owners of unneutered dogs have every right not to neuter.
I personally have 4 of my 6 neutered and the 2 most recent girlies are going to be neutered soon too. That's because I have 6 dogs, 3 male and 3 female and there would be ructions and fights in the house if I did not! But it's personal choice.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
I agree i think its unreasonable for rescues to insist on any other dogs in the home to be neutered/spayed as you say that has nothing to do with the rescue and i can't really see why it would be an issue if the prospective dog from the rescue has been neutered
I agree. I think it's a bit of cheek to ask to be honest!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Rescues have to charge a fee, most rescues end up as rehoming services for many of the owners you defend.

People who don't neuter or believe in neutering for the good of the dog etc-

As for the charge we have just taken on a lovely wee dog, hugely overweight, overgrown claws, skin condition, sore feet, turns out she us deaf possibly from skin condition that has severely scarred and blocked get ears and turns out she is 14 not 11 that we are told- she is going to cost a lot to treat- where does the money come from that if not from donations made for rehoming.

Why shouldn't rescues charge for their dogs? Breeders do and can't make guarantees on the dog any more than rescue can, and quite frankly if someone isn't willing to pay the fee then they won't get a dog from us. You ate ultimately not paying for that specific dog you are contributing to kennel costs/ vet treatment/ advertising etc. We work our butts off every weekend spent at events organising walks etc to get word out and to get money in, and it really irked me when you get people flagging off rescue, because of certain policies which are ultimately there to stop idiots from getting dogs that have already been through hardship.

I think if more people took on what rescues do they might be s bit more understanding about what it takes to run a rescue.

The amount of lies and stories owners give for getting rid of their dogs, trying to work out what's true about their dog, finding home for said dog because it's not perfect etc

What is the solution to not neutering - what do you think will happen?
More and more dogs PTS because there is no where for them to go.

Arrggh rant over!
So what you have written makes me very likely to rehome my dogs simply because I do not believe in blanket neutering of dogs at any age.

What irks me about certain rescues is that they set a fixed sale price for their dogs based on breed-Crossbreeds always being cheaper than a recognizible breed of dog, which are often sold by rescues at the going rate for a puppy of the same breed.

You state that breeders cannot make guarentees about the puppies they breed any more than a rescue can-really ? So I cannot guarentee that anyone who gets one of my Keewee's puppies will get a puppy that will not have TNS/CL/MDR 1/CEA(CH) can't I & that getting a puppy/adult collie from a rescue from unknown background will have the same chance of having these conditions ? Sorry you are so very very wrong, my Keewee has been tested & does not have any of these conditions-nor does she carry the genes for them-so her puppies cannot develop them & as I intend to use a genetically nornal dog on her, her puppies will not carry the condition either. Her puppies will be BAER tested as well so no one will get a deaf puppy from her either as I would keep any deaf puppy she might have. Breeders cannot guarentee that puppies will not have HD/ED/epilepsy yet as the inheritance/cause of these conditions is not known-but as she comes from generations of dogs who do not have high HD scores/ED/Epilepsy it is far more unlikely that her puppies will have these conditions either. Would a dog from a rescue have the same starting chances ? I think not.

I seriously worry that some rescues do not do enough in depth research into prospective owners as they have a high a lot of bounce back dogs that should not have gone it to purely pet homes in the first place.(the deaf puppy collie at MT for example)

I've probably worked with rescue longer than most people on this forum have been alive, staring when my parents did in the mid 1950s. I've worked retraining rescue dogs since the mid 1960s. As for the excuses people give I've only truly believed 2-one the owners daughter was allergic(medical evidence seen)to the puppies dander & a lovely man, whose wife had died suddenly, whose working hours made it impossible for him to look after his bitch probably & who was genuinely heart broken when he let her go. All the rest(probably 1,000s)simply wanted rid of their dog.

I have no problem with rescue dogs being neutered, but not before they are post pubescence, however I do not see why someone who wants to have a rescue dog should have to have ALL their other dogs neutered-after all the rescue can not be used for breeding if it is neutered
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Azz, sorry but the whole fundraising thing is a huge issue, we couldnt possibly rely on the new owners doing a sponsored walk as the basis of their payment, we have huge costs, kenneling fees, medical bills, advertising etc and as \greyhound says the adoption fee barely covers that.

We charge a fair adoption fee, yet you still get the odd person asking to pay it up !! ( which we dont allow for obvious reasons)

Ultimately some people do see rescue dogs as the "cheap" option of getting hold of a breed they want, and will say anything to get that dog, therefore we must neuter the dogs to ensure that if for any reason that dog did end up in a situation less desirable ( which lets face it does occasionally happen) then at least it cant breed or be bred from to add to the problem'

Bearing in mind I am talking about staffies predominantly we just cannot take the fate of the 20 +staffies PTS every single day down to just having nowhere to go as people dont want staffies. Its that simple, how many times have we heard on here people coming on saying which breed would suit me ... I will have anything BUT a staffie.

We simply MUST neuter every dog as part of the problem with staffies is the overbreeding ( many from pretty bad example of the breed also), and just the vast quantities in rescue and being dumped daily.

I am sorry but I cant trust anyone who wont neuter their staffie yet claims to understand the problem they face presently. ( as per Rips post!)

Sal, I am not by any means saying that if you own a unneutered dog that you are irresponsible, moreso that for the MAJORITY who do, how many of them are making a conscious researched decision like you are/have and understand the risks that you then face with unneutered dogs in park etc, dogs in season and prepared to deal with that, and how many just havent bothered to get their dog done ( or the classic male response which tends to fall under " I am not getting his bits off")

I have to go along the lines of most people dont consider it, we on dogsey are the minority it seems not the majority !

Or certainly in my experience on what we get into rescue we are.

I wish I had a dogsey home for every dog we get in, we would rehome alot more.

Our dogs are just not moving at the moment, people just dont want staffies, and those that do are the ones we dont want to give to them.

Dani,
I totally understand and I do think, given the current rescue crisis it would be totally irresponsible of rescue's not to neuter even though I personally am against routine neutering.

It's really hard going at the moment,other stafford rescues are struggling to rehome young pups

Tyler very rarely goes off his lead and when he does it's when there are no other dogs/people/kids around.He doesn't go far when offlead and should we see anyone then he's recalled and put straight back onlead so he definately would not get the chance to mate with an inseason bitch if there was one about.
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »