Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
None of the above..

Get a dogmatic
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
A dogmatic is similar to those mentioned but just seems to work and fit better than those mentioned
I agree, for me they are the best on the market.

I agree also that nothing substitutes good old fashioned training, BUT if you decide to use a head collar (some dogs just never stop pulling) then the "dogmatic" is the one I would go for.

Either webbing or leather, personally I prefer the leather, but personal choice.

Its better to use a dogmatic than NOT take your dog for a walk, because he .she is going to pull you over!

I have a friend who has had GSD for as long as I can remember she is 5ft tall and coming up to sixty, her last one has so far broke her arm, and pulled her over more than once (its how she broke her arm) he is now a well behaved boy, but as a youngster he was a nightmare, she invested in a head collar for her own safety and now hardly uses it .

And before anyone says "if she cant handle him she should not have bought him"! she is very experienced in the breed and he (her boy) is now coming up to 3 and is one of the most well trained dogs you would ever wish to meet, but getting from A to B , has had its ups and downs and a little extra help in control on the lead was a godsend!!
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Strangely enough my husband is of a similar opinion that I am too soft with Tia, she performs well for him etc., etc. The jury is still out on what I will try next but I will report back on my success or failure. Thanx for your assistance everyone.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2010, 02:24 PM
I use a halti for Flint and Simba. Both for different reasons.
Flint can be reactive to dogs and the halti is the only way I can control his lunging, trust me, iv tried training, praising but very little works!
Simba pulls alot, and ends up choking himself, I again have tried the turn around, stop walking, praise when correct method over and over and over, but he is very stubborn and he gets very easily wound up with my trying to stop this behaviour, he will howl and lunge when he cannot go for a 'normal' walk. the halti, again has resolved this.

My dogs dont mind wearing their haltis, they even push their noses through when they realise a walk is up for grabs

Good luck with whatever you decide is right for your dog x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2