View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 07:53 PM
This subject was done to death ages ago on another thread. I'll say it again though if the ethical breeders all stopped what would happen is certain breeds would die out and we'd be left with unhealthy poor specimens breed by puppy farmers who couldnt care less about the breed just the money.
if we all stop breeding as certain people are advocating the rescue problem wouldnt go away imho it would get worse with people buying unsuatable breeds and then realising they cant cope.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Of course not, and I've never met someone who twists my words as much as you do!
Erm, read some of your own!! :smt002
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Well said Dawn, I've kept in touch with all my puppy buyers and made them sign a contract stating if for any reason they no longer can care for the dog it comes back to me however you cant keep pestering the new owners or they get fed up, I know I would if it was me.
Im the same jacqui , i phone my owners every few months , a while ago i was called by one of my pup owners ,from a few years ago , her relationship had broken down , and i was fully prepared to rehome the dog , as i have it in my contracts also , but her and her ex decided he would keep the dog and she sees him regularly , the girl is disabled so it would not have been fair on the dog as she could not walk him as often as her ex , so she decided reluntantly to let her ex keep him , i also get letters and cards from my owners on how the dogs are doing, xxdk
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Same here mine all get christmas cards and birthday cards from me and there mum as well, which usually prompts them to ring me so I can see how the pups are
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
This subject was done to death ages ago on another thread. I'll say it again though if the ethical breeders all stopped what would happen is certain breeds would die out and we'd be left with unhealthy poor specimens breed by puppy farmers who couldnt care less about the breed just the money.
if we all stop breeding as certain people are advocating the rescue problem wouldnt go away imho it would get worse with people buying unsuatable breeds and then realising they cant cope.
I personally would like to see a temporary ban on all breeding whilst the unwanted dog crisis is sorted out. Once this has been achieved breeding could be started up again by only by a set number of licenced ethical breeders for each breed. Dog could be imported pre health screened and behaviour assessed if necessary at this point. Licenced ethical breeders would only be allow to breed a set number of pups each year and it'd be against the law for anyone without a licence to breed.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
I personally would like to see a temporary ban on all breeding whilst the unwanted dog crisis is sorted out. Once this has been achieved breeding could be started up again by only by a set number of licenced ethical breeders for each breed. Dog could be imported pre health screened and behaviour assessed if necessary at this point. Licenced ethical breeders would only be allow to breed a set number of pups each year and it'd be against the law for anyone without a licence to breed.
How long for???
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 08:10 PM
So we lose all the good lines we have in the pedigree dog worls that people have spent a life time building up. And you sugguest we import......form where are is it just the UK you wnat to see stopping breeding. Just 450 welshies were registered with the KC last year and we've had a number of top dogs go down with sterility at three years old you'd effectively kill the breed and others besides.
The problem wouldnt go away as no amount of banning would stop byb and puppy farmers all you'd do is push the prices through the roof and make more money for the unscrupulous breeder. Too be honest a lot of people want a puppy of a certain breed and are unlikely to go to rescue for an older dog if they have set there heart on something. I have a two year waiting list for my puppies and I'm relatively new to the breed are you sugguesting if I stopped breeding these people would go get a rescue dog I dont think so if this was the case they'd have done it by now.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 08:13 PM
You also state a set number of puppies to be born per breeder each year. Who sets the number and what happens if the following scenario happens.
Say the numbers 10 I breed my girl and have 1 sole puppy, The average litter size in my supposed breed is 4-6 so I mate another girl and then she has 12 puppies do I drowned the rest as according to your criteria I wouldnt be able to sell them. Or do I put them in rescue
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 08:14 PM
I agree with MS, not everyone who wants a puppy or a dog of a certain breed wants a rescue. Not breeding wont make them suddenly go off to get one. Not breeding will not free up homes for rescues, well not many, certainly not enough to have a large impact on the rescue dog situation.
Becky
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2007, 08:17 PM
How do we "sort out" the unwanted dog problem, with a stop on breeding?

Lots of Collies (for example) in rescue, person wants a Labrador, but no Labs being bred, however they really want a dog, go get a Collie, cos no labs available and inside 6mths, Collie back in rescue!
Page 32 of 42 « First < 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 > Last »