View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2015, 11:58 PM
Quite true indeed. For as much as we lucked out with Sophie getting on with Callie from the beginning I don't know if she will ever be as accepting again.
As she has gotten older she has grown moodier. She was a basket case from the beginning but has just grown more neurotic over the years.
I tried to bring home a young female AmStaff last summer with the idea of fostering her. The first night Sophie attacked her and gave her a deep leg wound. I realized for everybody's well being that the poor pup had to go back to the rescue.
I know now that until Sophie buys the farm I can't bring any more dogs or cats home. She's just not stable enough anymore.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2015, 03:50 AM
Same here. I would love to foster again once my medical condition stabilizes, but as my Jade is an indoor only dog now, there is no way we'd pass a temperament test and new dogs would be stressful. She has a muzzle and I could manage it, but it would not be fair to her.

I might be able to foster a male puppy, but have not been able to find one. With the medical bills, it would have to wait, anyway... but it was a joy to foster ages ago. Someday again, hopefully. I really want to foster a big male for Nigredo to play with.

We can pass a home check, as we did when I got Nigredo, but Jade doesn't accept any females or small dogs, and gets snappy with large males. They were concerned about Jade when they came to check for us adopting Nigredo, but we had a muzzle and I told them I'd be able to manage it. We won them over.

Also, all fosters have to be neutered as Jade is not spayed. A lot to do. Too much for right now. Jade is 11 and her health and vigor are declining. I hope she's makes it past 15 like my Brownie did, but until she passes, there will be no more dogs here.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-01-2015, 09:58 AM
I worried like crazy before I bought my second dog as a companion for my Pei Georgina. She'd been brought up with an older small Tibetan Spaniel with whom she'd got on well with, but as Georgie suffered from acute anxiety due to severe eye problems, when my Tibbie died, I wasn't certain how she'd react to another dog in the house.

Before I made the decision to buy Gwylim, a Miniature Schnauzer, I did a lot of research to find a breed that could cope with her anxiety issues which included discussing her problem with her trainer and later Gwylim's breeder. We came to the conclusion that she would be better with a slightly older, male dog and I left the breeder to choose a dog he felt would be a suitable match.

Georgina and Gwylim, who was 9 months old at the time, had a brief meeting to see how they got on together and I brought him home a few days later. For the first three days Georgie ignored him but the following day she invited him to play with her. That was 7 months ago and the pair of them get on together like a house on fire.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2