Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Canine K9
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-01-2015, 09:59 PM

Second dog- jump from one

This might sound strange so hear me out
In 2 weeks time I'm bringing home another dog. I'm already feeling nervous and guilty
I'm feeling nervous in case the introductions don't work and they fight or my first dog gets really upset and doesn't like her. I would hate to return my new dog but equally I would hate my first dog to be upset or hate her
I'm feeling guilty because even though my boy will be getting the same walks my undivided attention won't be on him, but then he doesn't tend to want much interaction on walks. I'm also feeling guilty that my boy may hate her and be really upset or anxious in his own home. He will still get the same individual activites we do on evenings though.
I'm worried he will feel pushed aside. I am worried he will feel out of place as he won't have my undivided attention. What if he just wants his house to be his?
My current boy is nervous of some dogs, so we have specifically chosen a dog we think will match his personality

Any suggestions or advice?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2015, 10:27 PM
Hello Emma try not to worry before it happens ,
Are you getting a rescue dog , how old ? .
Some rescues will allow you to take your existing dog so that they can meet .

I would introduce the dogs on neutral territory if you can and try to give each dog a little individual attention.
Canine K9
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Hello Emma try not to worry before it happens ,
Are you getting a rescue dog , how old ? .
Some rescues will allow you to take your existing dog so that they can meet .

I would introduce the dogs on neutral territory if you can and try to give each dog a little individual attention.
Lol wrong name! Edited my profile!
She's a private rehome off a friend,4 years
She's coming from Northern Ireland so no way to meet beforehand!!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2015, 11:49 PM
Well, what can I say if she's coming from Northern Ireland,she'll be amazing!
I think its natural to have all of those feelings.Pretty sure I would if I decided to get Number two Think Meg's advice is great.Would also add that dogs are really good at picking up on how we feel.If you're anxious,nervous etc at the meet up,both dogs will most likely pick up on that.Best to try and stay calm and relaxed I'd imagine
Best of luck,hope it all goes well xx
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2015, 01:03 AM
It's good that they're opposite gender. From what I've read and observed you have a plus right there. The ages can make a difference too, almost as much as personality. A new dog who is a few years older or younger can make it easier sometimes.

When I brought Callie home I held my breath on the first introduction. Sophie is a fearful dog given to panic attacks anywhere except her own house and yard. I knew meeting Callie in our yard was the best chance of Sophie being calm and comfortable with him.

This isn't true of many dogs. It's common wisdom that a neutral place like a park is better for a first meeting. Have lots of treats ready and have someone to walk the new dog and you walk yours. Lots of praise and goodies so both dogs get a positive message.

Like I said though, Sophie isn't the average dog, she's a canine basket case. We were blessed in that when she came out in the yard to meet Callie she dropped into a play bow right away. They get along well. She's far older than Callie. He knows when she gets testy to stay out of her way until she's sociable again.

If you're lucky they work out their own relationship.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-01-2015, 10:20 AM
Hi Kaiden, yes I have some suggestions since we did exactly the same eleven years ago. We had a Newfoundland who seemed to be bored on her own, we lived then in a very remote area and sometimes didn't see any humans from Monday to Friday (Bliss for me ) so we thought "How about a companion for her" and we got another Newfoundland. Then we found that our first dog was a natural 'pack leader' and gave the second dog a hard time so the second dog very quickly learned to submit, every time there was possibility of confrontation she was down on the ground feet in the air and the moment passed.

They lived together in perfect harmony for eight years (Until Baruska, first dog died) never had any serious fights, but they never really played together either (As I had hoped they would) it was not in Baruskas genes, they supported each other on walks and they were a team BUT Baruska was the pack leader of that there was no doubt.

Dogs have a way of sorting out their heirachy and you must not, I repeat you must not try to apply human feelings and emotions to them.

Before you get your new dog have a good look at your present dog, is he a leader? does he display aggression to any other dog at any time? what is the source of that aggression? (ie has it been trained into him by humans or is it just showing who is boss) Does he show any desire to play with other dogs. Try to asses him in canine terms not human ones.

Then look at your new dog, where will she fit in the hierarchy? Is she a natural pack leader? Try them out on neutral ground and look at how they interact. One of them will be the leader the other will follow and you will see that when walking on moors and forest, when one dives off into the undergrowth the other will do so as well, but likely from a different direction, this is the way dogs worked tens of thousands of years ago.

Of course the idea that all dogs are pack leaders and all dogs have a dominance gene is not correct, but some do and that may influence how your two get on.

Also don't expect them to play together, I made that mistake when we brought our second dog home, our two hardly ever played together, it was a great disappointment to me but they were happy with their relationship and as I said they never had a major fight, they did occassionaly have minor 'spats' once in the snow one ear was accidentally caught by a fang and in case you don't know, ears bleed like heck and there was blood all over the snow, it looked bad but in fact was nothing and the mark on her ear was gone in a few days and neither dog was worried 'cos like I say they are NOT humans they don't hold grudges and they have a different view on things.

Humans tend to relate to their feelings when looking at dogs, some even see them as little kids in fur coats, sorry but this ain't how it is.

When Baruska died I realised that she NEVER wanted anything from us (Yes she ate the food we put down of course) but she tried in her own doggy way to support all of her 'pack' (2xhumans and 1xcannine) when young she tried to provide us with food she would defend us from anything she saw as a possible threat be it other animals or a giant John Deere tractor She was never a cuddly animal and sadly she had four serious medical problems from the day she was born. But she displayed characteristics which I wish all of our leaders in politics and industry would follow.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2015, 10:31 AM
Ah, yes. I had hoped my two would be better friends, but it never happened. Jade, my female submits to large males and I knew my puppy would grow to be a large male. Unfortunately, he is a tad pushy and she is timid, so there is avoidance and not really play, but more struggles in hierarchy that the male always wins. She's 11 and he is 2 so huge age difference. She is 55 lbs, and he is 90 lbs. Another huge difference. In any case, they coexist okay with no fighting or anything.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2015, 07:18 PM
That's something that was wonderful in our case. The years when we had Sophie alone she was very much a human centered dog. Completely attached to me. At the dog park she was kind to dogs smaller than her but seemed frightened by pups her size or larger. She would retrieve sticks and balls. She would let small dogs play tag with her, but never was big on interacting with other dogs.

Some breeds are more playful than others. But I was amazed when she first set her eyes on Callie. An instant play bow and goofy grin " Oooooo you brought me a friend!!!!". She's the boss but he's fine with that.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2015, 12:55 AM
I rescue Chihuahua's and have 6 of my own. I don't have a problem with my other dogs when I bring in a new dog. Never have. I keep the new one in my lap or right next to me. Everyone comes over for a sniff or two and they go away. For as long as it's needed I keep the new one next to me and pay a lot of attention to them all at the same time. Works for me.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2015, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
That's something that was wonderful in our case. The years when we had Sophie alone she was very much a human centered dog. Completely attached to me. At the dog park she was kind to dogs smaller than her but seemed frightened by pups her size or larger. She would retrieve sticks and balls. She would let small dogs play tag with her, but never was big on interacting with other dogs.

Some breeds are more playful than others. But I was amazed when she first set her eyes on Callie. An instant play bow and goofy grin " Oooooo you brought me a friend!!!!". She's the boss but he's fine with that.
Jade loved Nigredo at first. She'd lay near him and play with him and was even protective of him. But as he grew, his boisterous puppy attitude began to bother her. He got bolder and she began to dislike him.

He'd want to play sometimes and she would not want to, so he'd bark in her face. She'd turn away, but he'd still jet into her face and bark in it. He ignored her growls and dodged her snaps, all fun and games to him, but it made her feel helpless and scared.

I admit to making the hideous mistake of thinking they'd eventually sort it themselves. It got worse and worse. Very soon, puppy was as big as Jade, scaring her even more. I recall one particular incident that seems to have permanently scarred Jadey.

They both came out of my room to head downstairs. Nigredo bolts down staircases like a loon. That day, Jade went first and he bolted down behind her. He was not careful and he knocked her down the last few stairs. She screamed bloody murder and hid under the table. She was not hurt, but terrified.

Her attitude seemed to change permanently towards him after that. She avoids him now as much as she can and most of their interactions are stiff and awkward. Every now and then, she will want to play, but he quickly turns it sour by playing the 90 lb young Lab mix way and it scares her.

All in all, if you see issues with your two dogs... step in and guide your dogs, don't always think they will sort it themselves. I regret doing that and I can't go back now, so I always tell people this.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >