Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2015, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
A PCSO who was acting in this manner was obviously not doing his job. I would first of all, politely enquire as to what was the reason for this dereliction of duty and if I received no effective action, take his number and present myself at the nearest large police station and ask to see the duty Inspector, presenting him with a written complaint as to the conduct of this particular police employee. This would be followed by a letter to the Council, the local police commissioner and dog control officer for the area. A copy of course with strenuously worded covering letter would then be sent to my MP. Believe me, I'd get something done!
Believe me, you wouldn't . No disrespect meant, but it's not uncommon for the 'lead-only' areas to have no meaning whatsoever, even when dogs enter the police demo 'tents' at events

No, Lincolnshire is not lawless, but it does have the most stretched police force. Neither is the problem confined to Lincolnshire. I've lived in both Yorkshire and Lancashire prior to living here and the problem was no different
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2015, 04:28 PM
People who live in places where the law cares know nothing about areas where your complaints go into the trash, where the department's are so underfunded that such issues are not even remotely important. Arrogant statements won't give you any power in some places. Animal control is better here now as they've gotten some new jobs etc but when the recession hit, the only reason they'd come out was it there was a pit bull, suspected rabies, or an attack. Sometimes they'd not come even then. Multiple people had to report because they knew people would lie to get them out there.
pisaster_oh
New Member!
Male 

10-01-2015, 11:54 PM
Thanks for responding everyone. In case my post was unclear, let me state that I am not referring to dog parks, nor to dogs that respond to voice command. I am talking about owners whose dogs do not respond to voice commands, and yet still let their dogs run free in the street in a populated city, often without watching them at all. This is not hypothetical, nor is it an assumption. This is a regular occurrence where I live, even though it is against the law. I am not asking responsible dog owners (probably the vast majority who read this forum, as someone has already pointed out) to explain themselves. But I know for a fact that the irresponsible owners exist in droves, so the odds are that at least one of them reads dog forums sometimes. If you are one of these people, I ask again, please explain it to me.

I have always been frustrated with this situation, but until recently I had learned to live with it. When walking my dog, I would usually let my dog interact with the off-leash dogs, and it usually went well. Then my dog was attacked by an off-leash dog roughly ten times his size. Long story short, he needed surgery, but he is recovering nicely and nearly back to his old self. He was lucky. The owner of the attacking dog is not only allowed to keep her unpredictable slobbering weapon, but she is not required to so much as pinky swear that it won’t happen again. But that’s another story. Anyway, ever since then I am extremely paranoid about the dozen or so off-leash dogs that we encounter on our walks. I carry a weapon. I no longer allow any dog to approach my dog. When I encounter an off-leash dog, I loudly but calmly say, “Please call your dog.” When the negligent owner is within earshot (~half the time), even this respectful request is met with hostility. When the owner does not respond, I scream “No!” and make a ruckus to get the dog to leave. “Chill out,” “He/she is friendly,” and “What kind of man are you? You can’t handle a dog?” are the typical responses from my criminal neighbors. You’d think the Elizabethan collar on my dog’s head and his several fresh suture marks ought to warrant some consideration, but it does not. Loose dogs, I am discovering, are not a priority for law enforcement. I am becoming increasingly filled with rage as this happens more often. I am not willing to risk another attack. Just not really sure what to do.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2015, 12:01 AM
In that situation I would be terrified. I've yelled at people with dogs on leash "Please, stay AWAY from us!". I don't want to imagine Sophie encountering another off leash dog ever again. She attacked a puppy like that and it was horrible. But given her size and looks she would be considered at fault no matter the situation.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2015, 12:12 AM
Ah. Yes, my previous dog was badly mauled by two pit bulls just roaming around. His neck was ripped open and it took weeks to granulate and heal. I wouldn't dare walk a small crippled dog out where I knew other dogs were. You can get small dogs enough exercise at home, at least until he heals, poor thing. I now carry a weapon as well. Not a gun as it's illegal for me to walk about with one but I carry a huge metal fire poker and also mace. I've been forced to use the weapon twice, injuring dogs, but preventing injury to my own. I have a docile Labby guy and an 11 year old, arthritic dog, I won't risk a fight. So sorry this is going on. We had an epidemic a while back where someone dumped some fighting dogs here, they mauled several dogs, including my own. I hate horrid owners as much as you do and I hope your guy gets to feeling better.

A neighbor had an American bulldog who bit two kids and mauled two dogs. He was given a citation after the like fifth attack and allowed to keep his dog. He only got rid of the dog (sent it to live with his brother) after someone poisoned him and it nearly killed him. Had he controlled his dog, that could have been avoided. People here will do things like that because the law hardly cares.

Sorry for being dramatic in my post btw. I'd never let my snappy dog off lead and I'd never let any dog wander through the roads. How silly is that?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2015, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
In that situation I would be terrified. I've yelled at people with dogs on leash "Please, stay AWAY from us!". I don't want to imagine Sophie encountering another off leash dog ever again. She attacked a puppy like that and it was horrible. But given her size and looks she would be considered at fault no matter the situation.
Jade is like that, too. She is a German Shepherd type and she has shown vicious tendencies. I muzzle her. I'd rather beat off an attacking dog than risk her mauling a helpless dog or child. Leashes and harnesses are not perfect, even high quality ones so I reluctantly muzzle. She broke a good leash a while back and did her best to maul a Poodle to death.

He was off lead and entered her space with aggression. He charged us, nothing I could do. She attacked immediately. She pinned him down and was snarling and shaking her head, trying her hardest to rip him to shreds. While using her leash to snatch her off, it broke and she went back at him, so I had to get down and snatch her by her harness. Poodle was shaken, but not harmed.

Lady apologized and was soooo happy Bunny was wearing that muzzle. She was furious and I'm not sure I could have gotten her to release in time to save poodle for very serious injuries had she clamped her jaws shut on him. She will always be muzzled and ill chance her not being able to defend herself.

Because she's lunged at kids faces also, I won't risk it. She's never bitten anybody or mauled any dogs, but it's not for lack of trying.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2015, 01:18 AM
I considered a muzzle too. Fortunately she's afraid of humans so as long as I stay vigilant about any dog, even blocks away we do alright. I try to walk her late night, definitely not late afternoon or early morning. Both times are dog walking rush hour around here.
Izzythesprocker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2015, 11:44 AM
Izzy can roam free in the local parks and forests around me but she is always on lead near roads, as she has zero awareness of danger. I do not understand how someone could fully exercise a dog without walking for miles or just letting them roam free for a while as in my area a lot of people do not have gardens only small yards. But still the council are cracking down on off lead by placing bans in the local parks, which will just, in my opinion make aggression issues worse!
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-01-2015, 12:22 PM
I don't agree that dogs should be off lead in a place that is stated it should be on lead, this is just plain rude, and who's to say your dog would not do something. As for taking a dog on to a beach where dogs are not allowed, again this is not on!. I live right near the beach and I see loads of dogs on the beach in the summer, but they are only allowed on about 3 bits of it, why not stick to that bit of the beach!.
As for walking dogs who aren't keen on other dogs in public places, yes I do this with Holly, we go to quiet places as well. Holly may or may not go off lead, but when I see a dog she goes on lead, she is fine if she has space. Other dog owners should then keep dogs away from her, because funnily enough I did put her on lead for a reason, or she is on lead for a reason. I have owners who say sorry to me because the dog has ran up to Holly this is what they should do, I've had owners give me dirty looks if my dogs reacts so I just give them a dirty look back. She has never attacked a dog in her 6 and a half years, doesn't even fight back if they attack her.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-01-2015, 08:25 AM
Mouse if we are out and about is always on a leash.
He is not DA/HA/or Cat and small animal aggressive at all.

He has a few places we go that he can be off leash and all 3 are private property. He is trained and has great recall.

My biggest issue is no matter what happened, people always try to blame Mouse do to his size.

It is why I will be the first to correct a owner with a out of control aggressive dog.

It is not so much the dogs fault as the owners, I find it much easier to address them, rude or just plain idiots.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >