View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

31-12-2010, 02:13 PM

Winter garlic

Anyone else growing garlic and onions over winter?

After all the horrible snow the thaw has set in and it looks like mine (planted early December) have survived! Think my beans have gone to the big beanstalk in the sky though.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 02:34 PM
We have decided not to grow at all this year just fed up with replanting and washing cat poo off our hands all the time, also seeing the cat poo really doesn't make the produce look very appetizing Hope yours does well though as over wintered garlic always tastes better than a short season one.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2011, 02:45 PM
have to admit ai should have been planted on the shortest day ,my garlic is still in the garage hopefully it will go in,the next couple of days, but allthe frost we have had has been brilliant for the parsnips
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
We have decided not to grow at all this year just fed up with replanting and washing cat poo off our hands all the time, also seeing the cat poo really doesn't make the produce look very appetizing Hope yours does well though as over wintered garlic always tastes better than a short season one.
Oh yuck no must admit I wouldnt be very keen then. I grow everything in containers so tend not to have that problem (that and having the hounds discourages the cats )

Ive done 3 containers of garlic but only 1 is showing realy promise, the elephant garlic is nowhere to be seen still hoping though.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
have to admit ai should have been planted on the shortest day ,my garlic is still in the garage hopefully it will go in,the next couple of days, but allthe frost we have had has been brilliant for the parsnips
Ive still got a few bulbs left so might give them a go. Mmmmm parsnips! Not grown them - not sure they would do any good in pots
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Parsnips should do OK in pots you just need to make sure the pot is very deep, carrots are better in pots we found as the carrot fly can't get to them if they are above 2ft high.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

02-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Parsnips should do OK in pots you just need to make sure the pot is very deep, carrots are better in pots we found as the carrot fly can't get to them if they are above 2ft high.
I did grow carrots last year and they were fab, so much tastier than supermarket ones and brilliant to just nip out and pick what you want. Think I'll try some parsnips this year I love em.

Still keeping fingers crossed for the peas