Our sister sites
Our sister sites
em_er_li
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2010, 11:06 PM

Bad day turns into bad weekend..

Rosa bit another dog today

We were on the park and I wasn't going to take her off the lead because there were so many other dogs, but she pulled and the lead came loose from her harness, and she bolted across the field to another dog.

I was running after her and didn't see what happened, but when I got there she had another dog by the ear, and the two owners of the other dog (man and woman) were trying to seperate the two.

the man started shouting at me saying he was 'gonna have me for this, and i'll have her too!' at rosa. I was trying to seperate the two. The owner of ANOTHER dog came up and hit rosa on the head (not hard) to try and seperate them, no luck.

The man then said 'i'll get the b****** off!' and took a full on kick at rosa's head/neck.

Rosa, obviously, let go and I was so angry, I saw red and hit the man on the arm (I shouldn't have. I know. I regret it now) The man then took a swing at me, I moved and he just got my arm/chest. Then he went to take another swing but the woman who hit rosa told him to stop.

He said he was gonna call the police and 'have me' and wanted my address, I gave him this and left.

He then followed me home (to make sure I wasn't lying I guess) but since the house is on a quiet road, I was getting nervous, especially since it seemed he was closing the gap the quieter it got (i don't think he knew that i knew he was following me..)

Anyway, I got home, and he turned round and left when he saw I clearly wasn't lying.

Waited in all day, but no police. Maybe tomorrow but I'm at work then?

So worried about the other dog too, it looked like she only had a nick on her ear but I'm not sure as the man kept blocking my view with his body.

I think it's best to keep Rosa on a lead and muzzled from now on such a shame, but I don't want another dog, or Rosa, getting hurt again.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 11:21 PM
What a horrible walk. I know how quickly things like this can happen. I was horrified when kismet did a similar thing on a walk. The man in my case did nit take it to the police or any further. But I took precautions to make sure it could never happen again.

It's not the end of the world. There is life after attack. You now know that you have a dog aggressive or reactive dog, so take that on board and move forward.

You need a good muzzle. I recomend the Baskerville cage type. Get a harness and a head collar. Kismet's headcollar fits under her muzzle no problem. (it takes a while to accustom them to the muzzle persevere she will get used to it) always walk with two leads or a split lead so that you have one attached to her headcollar and one on the harness this will make sure even if she slips one you still have the other. Exersize with the muzzle on and a long line or extra strong flexi can still be rewarding and fun.

If you need someone to chat to who has been there pm me
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 11:26 PM
oh that sounds terrible! i know the guy must of been in shock seeing that happen to his dog, but to react like that is totally out of order! at least it wasnt a full on attack and you hadnt let her off lead. sadly, accidents can happen and i think a muzzle would be a good idea, at least until you can maybe find out why this happened and work on it... it is difficult though since you didnt see what happened.

he should NEVER have hit you! and if he does call the police (i doubt he will) then you should get him done for assault! him hitting you is worse, in the police eyes, to rosa biting another dog. and then to follow you home after shouting, threatening and hitting you! how intimidating!

do you know the woman who was there with the other dog? so you can maybe talk to her next time you see her in the park and she could act as a witness of what happened. that you tried getting rosa off the other dog, and that he threatened and hit you... i hope you are ok now, i think i would have fallen to pieces in that situation and had to call someone to the park to help me... i couldnt walk home with a guy following me...
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

07-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Ouch! I feel for you.

I mismanaged a situation with a foster terrier once (I'm guessing Rosa is a Patterdale?) and she latched onto another dog's ear. Fortunately I was close enough to do the seperating myself but, afterwards, I had to withstand a deserved and withering verbal assault from the other dog's owner who was no less upset than her dog.

All you can do is chalk it up to experience and be better for the lesson. There's a good muzzle training protocol in the "Coming Home Registered" info pack in this link (it's meant for registered pitbull types but the principles are the same. The other owner may drop the whole thing once his temper has abated.

http://www.ddawatch.co.uk/useful_info.html
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Oh dear...

The police are unlikely to be interested in this, but I would prepare yourself for a visit from the dog warden. And the possibility of paying any vets bills for the other dog resulting from the attack.

I agree that you'll have to keep her on a short lead and muzzle now unfortunately.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
I mismanaged a situation with a foster terrier once (I'm guessing Rosa is a Patterdale?)
rosa is a SBT, maybe SBTx (im sure, will be soooo embarrassed if im wrong )

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
And the possibility of paying any vets bills for the other dog resulting from the attack.
oh thats a good point, you may have a visit from him with the vets bill...
Nimah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2010, 07:49 AM

I know you say you regret it now but you hitting him was absolutly the wrong thing to do, the man was hitting you in self defence as you started the attack first. If he was me I would be pursuing charges for assault, criminal damage to my property ( the dog) and for a Dangerously out of control dog in a public place. I would go through small claims court to get the vet bills paid for and if I could, pay for any rehabilitation my dog would need with behaviourists to get over the attack.

Yes, it was a shock for you, the harness coming loose was an accident however my sympathy fully lays with the other party who are victims.

BTW you say that Rosa has bitten a dog before, why did you not muzzle her after this first incident? and why did you take her to a public place where you knew there were other dogs?
em_er_li
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2010, 08:31 AM
argh, can't just delete my post. proper reply coming in a minute.
em_er_li
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Nimah View Post

BTW you say that Rosa has bitten a dog before, why did you not muzzle her after this first incident? and why did you take her to a public place where you knew there were other dogs?
Rosa has never bitten another dog, she's been fine with 9 out of 10 dogs, when I say 'another' I meant a different dog, another dog.

Because she doesn't like all dogs, I wasn't going to take her off the lead because of the other dogs around. She's fine with dogs when she's on the lead and under my control. She just growls and so I take her away.

The lead simply came off the harness.

She was bitten last week. I don't know if that's why she bit yesterday, or if she was going to do it anyway. Either way, we're not risking it.

I know I shouldn't have hit the man, however I didn't full on punch him. It was a hit/push him away thing. Not hard. However he took a full swing at me. Twice. Much harder than I hit him. But I still shouldn't have done it.

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
rosa is a SBT, maybe SBTx (im sure, will be soooo embarrassed if im wrong )

oh thats a good point, you may have a visit from him with the vets bill...
Rosa is a SBT (X?) My mum's dog is a Patterdale.
Yeah, we assumed we'd get the vets bill.

Since the police still haven't been, uf they don't come by the end of today, we think he got home and calmed down.

Either way, she's still going to be muzzled.
Such a shame, because she loves people, and they'll obviously back away a bit. But we can't afford the risk for anyone.

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Oh dear...

The police are unlikely to be interested in this, but I would prepare yourself for a visit from the dog warden.
Yes, this is what I thought would happen. The dog warden found Rosa as a stray, and knows she'd never hurt a human, and knows she's usually ok with other dogs. But will fully agree with a muzzle.

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
he should NEVER have hit you! and if he does call the police (i doubt he will) then you should get him done for assault! him hitting you is worse, in the police eyes, to rosa biting another dog. and then to follow you home after shouting, threatening and hitting you! how intimidating!

do you know the woman who was there with the other dog? so you can maybe talk to her next time you see her in the park and she could act as a witness of what happened. that you tried getting rosa off the other dog, and that he threatened and hit you... i hope you are ok now, i think i would have fallen to pieces in that situation and had to call someone to the park to help me... i couldnt walk home with a guy following me...
I can understand why he hit me, and I shouldn't have instigated it. I'm not proud of myself I think I made it worse by doing it.
Following me home, was scary. since he was on his own.

No idea who the other woman was, but she seemed to be on the couples side, I think she knew them..

Originally Posted by magpye View Post
What a horrible walk. I know how quickly things like this can happen. I was horrified when kismet did a similar thing on a walk. The man in my case did nit take it to the police or any further. But I took precautions to make sure it could never happen again.

It's not the end of the world. There is life after attack. You now know that you have a dog aggressive or reactive dog, so take that on board and move forward.

You need a good muzzle. I recomend the Baskerville cage type. Get a harness and a head collar. Kismet's headcollar fits under her muzzle no problem. (it takes a while to accustom them to the muzzle persevere she will get used to it) always walk with two leads or a split lead so that you have one attached to her headcollar and one on the harness this will make sure even if she slips one you still have the other. Exersize with the muzzle on and a long line or extra strong flexi can still be rewarding and fun.

If you need someone to chat to who has been there pm me
Thankyou so much. I'll probably take you up on that offer. I'm still in shock at the minute. And can't stop thinking about the other dog The waiting around for the police/dog warden doesn't help..

Thanks for all your help everyone. I'll keep you posted.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 09:00 AM
It all sounds a bit fraught - I hope you`re calmer now.
Because we`ve (almost!) all been there, a few points...

Spats between dogs in parks are not uncommon.
Now you know your dog will react you can do something about it. That would be a positive move.
Dogs are dogs - not children. You and the guy were reacting as though they were your babies (sorry) and not thinking.
I very much doubt the police will be interested - the dog warden might be, and you should offer to pay vet bills. And an apology wouldn`t be out of place.
You need to re-think how you manage your dog - this is a warning, not a disaster.

I hope all concerned are unhurt and recovering.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >