Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2005, 01:29 PM

hand stripping

A question for Olive/Mini or anyone who handstrips

As u know i've been handstripping Archie's body, and the top of his head. I followed the advice on a previous thread and used chalk to try his face, but the hair there still feels very firmly attached, and doesn't come out easily. Shall I just leave it until it's easier to come out or shall I use the stripping knives? I don't want to hurt Archie if the hair is not readu to come out.
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Olives hair on her face, needs stripping far less often than the rest of her. It sounds as though the hair on his face isn't ready to come out yet. My advice would be to have a wee go with the stripping knife, but if it doesn't come out with a slight pull it's not ready .
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2005, 02:35 PM
thanks Joanne
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Tuti as Joanne says the hair is slighty different on the top of the head..in fact on many dogs hair grows at a different rates on various parts of the body, the neck and shoulders seems to grow through first, the head hair seems softer and grows more slowly . We will find it harder to strip the head hair and will probably have to use a knife rather than finger and thumb, as Joanne says it may not be ready to strip yet .On Schnauzers most people clip the ears, head and in a line from the base of the ear to the breast bone,regarding the latter the hair actually grows in two directions creating a line which makes it easier to follow
LF
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2005, 04:49 PM
It's the same with Spinoni head hair; it never comes out as easily as the rest. In fact, you have to be very careful not to be too enthusiastic with the head hair or you can end up with a bald patch :smt103 I don't use a stripping knife, but I'm very gentle with the finger and thumb around the head

Lesley
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys The hair on top of his head is very soft and easy to pull out, but his beard and eyebrows are tough... I'll wait a while and try again to see if it loosens a bit

I had a go on his body with the stripping knife today, it's fantastic! Thankyou Olive!