Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Boxerbonkers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2005, 11:40 AM

Advice on food.

Happy my boxer who is 10yrs.whom I have fed on Nature diet she has developed a quirky tummy and the vet has suggested dried food. I have tried James Wellbeloved, Burns, Hills Science, Butchers she would rather starve, tried mixing with gravy and she sucks the gravy and leaves the food. Help any suggestions on a tried and tested food.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 11:46 AM
hi there, i would just pick one food and stick to it. if u change it too often or offer something different when ur dog turns his nose up he will turn into a fussy eater and always hold back for more.
pick a food, put it down for 15 minutes, if he doesnt eat it, put it in the bin and dont give him anything to eat until the next meal. No healthy dog will starve themselves. Ive known dogs to go a week without food cos they are fussy, but they soon get the idea that there will be nothing else put down to tempt him.

assuming he his healthy, i would not worry if he does not eat, he sounds like he is trying it on as he knows u will add something tasty if he holds out long enough.
hope this helps

, (from a person who had a fussy eater! lol)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Personally I think the Burns food is the best out there at the moment in the dry food which you say you have tried. Have you tried buying a packet of their treats, i.e. Kelties and giving her one or two of these so that she gets the taste, and get some free packets of all their different range of food, and try giving her them after her "treat" and she will think it's another nice "treat" and will be over the moon when she ends up with a whole bowl full! Just an idea, as this is what I've done in the past. This way, by having the little free bags of different foods, you may find one she actually prefers and likes?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 03:25 PM
p.s. Have you tried sprinkling a small amount of tuna or something over the dry food to tempt her? I always have to do this otherwise neither of them will eat it, but I am hoping when I change over to the Burns next week they will find it a lot more appetising than their old food was.
Boxerbonkers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks for replying with your suggestions, believe it or not madam scoffed a large bowl of Pal dried food tonight. I don't know if she was so hungry or just getting the message, I just hope it is nutritional enough for her.