View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Schæfer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Thanks H.54 I'll have a blood test taken and I'll have a talk with the vet about this pancreatic enzyme deficiency...Do any of you Danes out there know what this deficiency is called in Danish?
If she has this thing...what can be done? Is there medicin or something?
Excuse my ignorrance.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Pancreatic is "bugspytkirtlen" so I would guess its: "mangel på enzymer i bugspytkirtlen"

I'm sure your vet will check for this, but mention the "bugspytkirtel" anyway

I think there's medication for it...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Hi Shaefer. If you do a search on pancreatic enzyme deficiency or EPI the vets call it, you may find somewhere they have it in Danish? It is all to do wih the pancreas not creating the enzymes to digest the food as it should. I had to give her special pancreatic powder (which was actual powdered enzymes produced from a pancreas, but where I don't know, maybe cattle?) Anyway, this powder is very, very expensive I'm talking £100 for a tub which would last a month. I once spoke with a german shepherd breeder who told me she lived right next door to an abatoir and she would get the pancreases from them and feed it to all of her puppies so that they would not have this problem in the future. I was gobsmacked, as I say, as I have now had 6 g.s.d's but had never heard that this is a german shepherd "thing". When I had Cassie bloodtested it was not, in fact to test for this, it was to see what was wrong with her and they came up with this result!

I don't want to frighten you obviously, I just want you to be aware of this apparently common problem in this breed and I strongly suggest you do a search like I did to find out more about it. I think they can also give them Vit B12 injections on a regular basis. The only reason I am concerned is the yellow bile, as this went on for quite a while with Cassie before she was very, very ill with her EPI, and I just want you to be on the safe side. I am so glad you are going to talk to your vet about it, and good luck in finding the Danish equivalent of it, maybe bellaluna can help you on this one? All the very best to you and I would be very, very interested to hear the outcome of any blood tests you may be having done ok.
Schæfer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Okay thanks
My parents had a English Springer Spaniel who had some disorder with I think the same "bugspytkirtel" but he reacted with eating and eating and eating more and more and still losing weight and he ate his own feaces cause he wasn't absorbing the nutrition. I guess there's different kinds of reactions then?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 05:30 PM
I 'm sure she's just a picky eater. But take her to the vet and have her checked over...

Good luck

You can always find me on msn, if you want to chat
Schæfer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-05-2005, 05:33 PM
Thank you but the stupid msn wont let me on there right now I'm quite displeased
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 06:01 PM
how annoying.. Well if you ever get on and see me there, just say hi
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3