Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2005, 07:30 AM
lol
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-05-2005, 07:30 AM
If she is eating nothing, and i mean nothing at all for 5-6 days then I think that you should consult your vet. Get a full examination, blood work, faecal & urine tests, etc. done. However, if she will eat when you garnish her food then it would indicate that there is no medical problem, but best to be safe.
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2005, 07:50 AM
Have you tried feeding her raw? You could always bash some raw chicken wings (to break the bones in case you are worried about bones, not her ) and feed them to her, see if they tempt her
Schæfer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2005, 07:57 AM
I'll try taking her to the vet again.
I'll probably worry to death if I don't. Better safe than sorry.
I have considered Barf but there's a lot of practical things in the way of that so I'll try some more before I'll resort to that.
Thanks again everybody.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Oh btw here in DK, we can buy the meat with the bones grinded (sp?) in, to start up with... We have some centres called Barf-center, where you can buy anything you need.. But yeah u need a freezer
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Hi there Sheafer Can I add a couple of point to what the others have said, has not eating got worse recently..I notice your bitch is 9 months old,has she had a season yet or could she be coming it season soon..this affects the appetite in some bitches. How much exercise does your bitch get and when do you feed her? I would give her a good walk,wait a little then feed her
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Hi Shaefer. I have 2 gsd's but have had many before them. Why can't you sprinkle something on her food to make it more pallatable then? Is she not allowed this? I always sprinkle some tuna, sardines, or freshly cooked chicken on their dry kibbles otherwise they wouldn't eat it. You can't let her starve unless there is a medical problem, but if she would eat something other than her normal food, then she is probably not liking it much. One of mine at the moment is very picky with her food, but when she was very ill (without me knowing!) she refused everything,even chicken, so I took her straight to the vet. She also threw up bright yellow bile too. She was diagnosed with EPI which is very common in g.s.d.'s - better get her bloodtested I think and discuss this with your vet, as it seems it has gone on too long in my opinion. good luck.
Schæfer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Hi all.
I'm grateful for all the advice.
She had her season when she was 8 months old, so it can't be that. Plus she has been like this for a long time.
She has no problem with eating treats and bones and "human food"...
The problem is that if I give her e.g. tuna in her food monday...then tuesday tuna is not good enough...
And we have tried all kinds of flavours sprinkled on her food but they are only interesting for a short time and then she looks up at me like they are disgusting.
It is exhausting to never know if she'll eat the food or not...never knowing wheter the flavour we chose that day would please her...a lot of food is lost that way. If I had sprinkled fish in her food and she wouldn't eat it that day or the next...then there comes a time when the fish flavoured food has to be thrown out.
One other time when we tried starving her...we offered her her food once in the morning then took it away shortly after(if she didn't eat it of course)...then same proceedure in the evening(we also tried only offering it in the evening).
The problem that time was that she'd eat just enough so that she could keep going...I mean so little that she slowly lost weight, but just enough that she could keep herself going. And she kept doing this and we got worried about her growth.
Maybe I should just keep putting different things in her food every day until she is fully grown and then try starving her when I'm not so worried about her growth.
I'll take her to the vet next week and get her examined fully...then I'll be certain that she is not sick.
she gets quite a lot exercise (of course no more than her not yet fully grown body can take) and we exercise her mind each day with all kinds of brain exercises too. She has a tendency to be more hungry after the exercises but this does not provide the motivation to eat the "boring" food.
Did I answer all the questions...hmmm...if not just tell me...
Thank you all for trying to help us...
Schæfer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Helena54: She ate the food with relish the first two weeks she got it as did she with the other brands. So I don't think that she doesn't like the taste of this food.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Hmmmm, she sounds just like my Cassie used to be! Very picky!My husband used to say, take it away, she will eat it if she's hungry, just like you do, but I was also worried that she was still growing at the time and looked skinny. Does she also pull "that" face as she turns it away from her food, as if to say "you don't expect me to eat that do you!" She would also eat any proper human food just like yours. BUT, when I was doing just as you do, i.e. changing to tuna, sardines, chicken, anything to sprinkle over her food to tempt her, which would be fine for one meal but not the next, I got so exasperated just like you have about it all.

If you are taking her down to the vets, please ask him about the pancreatic enzyme deficiency thing, as I didn't know anything about it until my dog got it, and I think I read your dog sicked up some yellow bile? I have since learned that it is definitely a g.s.d. condition, so it would be interesting to talk to him about it anyway. I am saying all this, because this was actually the start of my dog's problems, and she was actually telling me she didn't want to eat anyway, only when she felt she had to. You have nothing to lose, and if you can afford it or are insured if he suggests the blood test then I would strongly suggest you get it done. As I said, I have had 6 g.s.d's now, but this is the only one that has given me a problem with eating and also she is the only one who has had the EPI.I wish you all the very best and hope this is just a phase she is going through. Very good luck to you.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >