View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma.b
New Member!
Female 

02-06-2012, 07:36 PM

Looking for some good basic home cooked food recipes to feed my dogs?

I have a adult collie and puppy pom both have upset bellies at the min due to changing foods. There currently being feed plain white rice with either chicken or egg.

And I've been thinking I might carry on feeding home cooked if its cheap enough. If not I'll feed half kibble half home cooked. But I'm new to all this so I wanted to know if any1 has some good food ideas that I can feed my 2.

Any help will be much appreciated x x
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2012, 07:42 PM
You'll probably get a variety of answers here. Have you thought about rawfeeding? Thats one avenue thats easy and healthy when done right. Apart from that I dont feed a lot of veg so mainly meat is what I'd say and raw bones.
Only other thing I can think of is steamed fish and rice or liver and rice etc.

I'm sure that someone with a better answer than mine will come along who home-cooks for their dogs though.
navan
New Member!
Female 

02-06-2012, 08:38 PM
my shih tzu loves baked cod fillet and brown rice
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2012, 09:50 PM
I have several dog food recipe books with quite a lot of home cooked recipes for meals in them. It depends how much cooking you want to do but I could get you the book titles if you like. Here is an example recipe:

Chicken Cut Casserole
1 1/2 cups boiled chicken cut into bite size pieces.
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup of boiled vegetables (carrots, pumpkin, potato, celery etc..)
3 tbsp unsalted chicken broth
Put all ingredients together in a big casserole dish (or saucepan) and heat for 20 minutes. Wait until the casserole cools to room temperature and serve to your salivating dog.

There are plenty more but as I said, it depends how far you wish to go. Please let me know if you'd like the titles
Emma.b
New Member!
Female 

03-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Thank you for your replies. I'll be sure to try the ideas out, and polarbear i would love the titles of the books please.

I am thinking of keeping them on 1 home cooked meal a day and 1 kibble meal a day.

I do seem to have another problem now, my 3 month puppy hasnt pooped in over 24hours now. She's alert, playful and hasnt lost her appetite. I'm currently feeding her white rice and egg for breakfast and white rice and chicken for tea....because they bothsuffered with runny stools after changing flavours of kibble (same brand tho).

Any ideas on how to get her moving again?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Emma.b View Post
Thank you for your replies. I'll be sure to try the ideas out, and polarbear i would love the titles of the books please.

I am thinking of keeping them on 1 home cooked meal a day and 1 kibble meal a day.

I do seem to have another problem now, my 3 month puppy hasnt pooped in over 24hours now. She's alert, playful and hasnt lost her appetite. I'm currently feeding her white rice and egg for breakfast and white rice and chicken for tea....because they bothsuffered with runny stools after changing flavours of kibble (same brand tho).

Any ideas on how to get her moving again?
You could just try weaning her back to her kibble maybe?
If not then add a little boiled liver into her next meal of chicken and rice and it should help.
Emma.b
New Member!
Female 

03-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
You could just try weaning her back to her kibble maybe?
If not then add a little boiled liver into her next meal of chicken and rice and it should help.
Hi was bit of a false alarm, she pooped about 5 mins after i posted this!!

I'm going to re-introduce there kibble tomorrow

Thanks for the reply x x
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Emma.b View Post
Hi was bit of a false alarm, she pooped about 5 mins after i posted this!!

I'm going to re-introduce there kibble tomorrow

Thanks for the reply x x
haha, that's pups for you!
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Hi Emma.b,
Here are the titles of the books I mentioned - these are both ebooks but they can be bought in paperback too, they are:
Yummy for Dogs - A Cook Book for Canines by Veronica Noechel and TREATS FOR DOGS: 25 Dog Treat Recipes for Healthier Happier Dogs by Marie L. Morgan.
I also have a couple of apps on my iPhone & iPad which have recipes for meals as well as treats. One is Doggy Yum Yums and the other is Dog Treats.
I've used the apps more than the books as I've only recently got the books but there's quite a lot of choice so should be worth a good look. The Yummy for Dogs was the most expensive - I think it was around £7 but it's got loads of choice including recipes for other animals too. I make all my own treats for Bailiie, she's never had anything bought so I know exactly what she's getting, and she loves them, and so do all her friends!
I hope you find something useful and I'm sure both your dogs will enjoy home cooking.
Good luck and enjoy
P.S. amazon.com is a little cheaper than .co.uk........
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-06-2012, 12:12 AM
look up a book called, better food for dogs. lots of things to try.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >