View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 03:27 PM
mini, the milk is animal protein, and a high quality at that.
Ever heard that a body can survive on milk alone? Again not 'thrive', but enough to look ok....?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
"I think the fact that dogs are said to not be able to digest vegetable matter without it being broken down for them first suggests to me that they are not true omnivores. Yet if they do receive vegetable matter it doesn't do them any harm and some goodness can be derived from it."

you said two things that contradict each other, either they CAN digest veg (and get some goodness out of it) or they CAN'T and it's useless giving it to them.

Personally I steam, boil, fry, juice (use the pulp) and give them raw. Just whatever i feel like. On neither of the occasions do i see whole bits of veg coming out the other end, leading me to the conclusion that yes they can digest the veg in a certain way, whether they can or can't get any goodness out of it is a different matter, but it ain't coming out whole
sweetcorn is different, those ******s won't die will they!
Huh? that's cuz you are boiling it and pulping it etc umm you are breaking it down first. Why am I contradicting myself?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-10-2006, 03:29 PM
No it will be mushy, but not swollen as it is designed specifically not to swell, and my dogs don't gobble their food and never have they are both rather sedate eaters. They like to savour their food, each to their own but as others have said if it ain't broke you don't fix it.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 03:30 PM

just cos you said they ''can't digest" {veg matter} and then you said they might get "some goodness from it''
either they can digest it, or they can't... if you see what i mean, they can't not digest it AND get goodness from it...

i also feed it grated (raw) and i don't see it out the other end.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
There are dogs that are fed a completely vegetarian diet, aren't there and seem to manage?
I think there must be. I know that the dog/s linda and paul mccartney had before they split were fed totally vegetarian. I don't like it, it's like pushing your own beliefs for your own reasons regardless of if it's what's best.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

19-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Oh sorry jess forgot to say it actually states on the bag to be fed dry ( sometimes I do and sometimes I don't ) but it's certainly never soaked
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 03:33 PM

just cos you said they ''can't digest" {veg matter} and then you said they might get "some goodness from it''
either they can digest it, or they can't... if you see what i mean, they can't not digest it AND get goodness from it
Well they 'can' once it's broken down for them first and indeed you are breaking it down for them. Unlike us who can just pluck a carrot out the ground and eat and get full goodness from it...That was my reasoning for saying they are not true omnivores in the way that people are...So that I lean more towards them being more carnivorous.
Meg
Supervisor

19-10-2006, 03:34 PM
mini, the milk is animal protein, and a high quality at that.
Ever heard that a body can survive on milk alone? Again not 'thrive', but enough to look ok....?
Hi Jess yes I am aware that milk is an animal protein and that some can survive on it , however as three quarters of dogs are lactose intolerant those particular dogs would hardly survive on a diet made up largely of milk. One can only assume the dogs I spoke of are not lactose intolerant or they would have permanent diarrhoea ..
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 03:35 PM
the problem with plant matter is that cell walls are the hardest in nature to break down... so among us there are people who believe that dogs, like carnivores, can't break down the cell wall, and rely on enzymes (which omnis and herbies have) to break into the cell and release the goodness....
so even pulverising, all that is happening is you are slicing the cells into individuals cells that we can't see, so it's much to us, but they still aren't 'broken into' .
This is where raw feeding gets complicated...
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post

I think the fact that dogs are said to not be able to digest vegetable matter without it being broken down for them first suggests to me that they are not true omnivores. Yet if they do receive vegetable matter it doesn't do them any harm and some goodness can be derived from it.
Dogs are now a domesticated species so dependant on us to provide food and if that entails cooking the vegetable matter, then that is what their diet consist of. Yes it might be 'unnatural' but then so is the dog as a species .......we created it.

If I could give another example of how domestication alters species. Domesticated cattle thrive on a diet including concentates manufactured from various cereals etc. The species that they descended from is now extinct but a semi wild form of cattle from the same origins still survives in the UK, the Chillingham Herd. These are non domesticated and do not tolerate concentates, in fact will not even eat them in times of hardship.

But also they can do without any omnivorous type food or my dogs would not still be here as day to day they are fed solely on raw meat and bones and offal Aside from the odd occasion I either give them a few left over veg or chuck a carrot out.
I won't dispute that your dogs do well on this regime, dogs are extremely diverse as a species, but I would expect most dogs to benefit from some cereal and vegetable content.
Page 11 of 20 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »