Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HavaneseLover10
New Member!
Female 

16-11-2009, 01:43 AM

My dog drinks too much water

My Havanese, Zoey, drinks too much water. I have a pen for her and the rest of my dogs on my main floor, but when i give all of them water, shes the only one who doesn't drink any of it. Is it because she thinks it's dirty? Anyway, when I take her out of the pen, she runs to the sink and scratches at the cupboards. So, I give her water and she keeps wanting more and more, and when I finally take it away, she runs and pukes it all out. What is going on with her, and what should I do? Just as a side note, she is only two.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 03:52 AM
For some reason she doesn't think that water is hers to drink. Can you put two bowls down? ( I assume you have two dogs, more if there are more dogs) or if there are several dogs, maybe she should be separated and kept alone, in another pen next to the other pen, or with one friend. So many dogs in a small space may make territoriality rear its ugly head.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 09:19 AM
My dog sicks up if she drinks too much water and too fast (also if it is very cold water it makes it worse!)
Don't give as much water at once, let her have a little drink, then a rest, then some more etc. I've found this helps to stop them throwing up.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Hi Alex
My Havanese, Zoey, drinks too much water
. So, I give her water and she keeps wanting more and more
Have you had Zoey checked by a vet recently? As Hevvur says drinking too much water at once can result in the vomiting it back , however if you think Zoey is drinking a lot of water and wants more and more it is a good idea to get her checked by the vet to eliminate the possibilities of an underlaying health condition like diabetes.

If it is simply a matter of drinking too much to quickly you can slow her down by giving small amounts at a time and replenishing it or putting a round object like a stone in the water bowl to prevent her lapping too quickly.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Has she got access to water all the time?
The way you wrote it seems like she hasn't?

If she hasn't, perhaps if she has access all the time she can drink as soon as she needs to, rather than getting really thirsty then going mad as soon as she gets to the water
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Has she got access to water all the time?
The way you wrote it seems like she hasn't?

If she hasn't, perhaps if she has access all the time she can drink as soon as she needs to, rather than getting really thirsty then going mad as soon as she gets to the water
If the bowl is being emptied too quickly because there are a number of dogs drinking from the bowl, or it is getting spilt in the pen it is possible to buy a dog water dispenser, a container attached to a bowl which keeps the bowl refilled.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Alex

Have you had Zoey checked by a vet recently? As Hevvur says drinking too much water at once can result in the vomiting it back , however if you think Zoey is drinking a lot of water and wants more and more it is a good idea to get her checked by the vet to eliminate the possibilities of an underlaying health condition like diabetes.

If it is simply a matter of drinking too much to quickly you can slow her down by giving small amounts at a time and replenishing it or putting a round object like a stone in the water bowl to prevent her lapping too quickly.
I also think you should have your dog checked at the vet, one of my rottweilers developed diabetes, it was a rapid onset, so he went from being normal to more or less over night drinking lots of water.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 11:39 AM
I had a dog who wouldn't drink out of a waterbowl that others had drunk from. If he got there first he drank but never after another dog. Instead I caught him drinking from the loo & preferably just after it had been flushed. He also liked drinking directly from a tap. The fact that she won't drink in the pen makes it sound as though she is making herself thirsty. When I first had this rescue he would drink all the water you put down but he has gradually learnt that here it is always available & now he only drinks as much as he needs & leaves water in the bowl. I'd be tempted to give her her own bowl in a pen, see if that helps.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Daisy will rarely drink water if it`s got dog slobber in it from the other dogs. (No idea why, she`ll happily drink from puddles though.)
There are travelling water bowls which fill from a reservoir above them, (like for a small rodent`s cage but bigger) which ensure fresh water is put in as it empties. You could see if that works. Or you could do as I do and use small bowls and keep re-filling them.
Charlie'sMom
New Member!
Female 

01-10-2011, 07:56 PM
I have the same problem with my own dog. However, it is a slightly different situation. She has access to her water bowl at all times, but when she goes to drink from it she drinks excessively, and quickly, then makes herself sick, but will go right back for the water afterwards. I have tried giving her a little, then letting her rest a bit, then giving her a bit more, however, I am not always home, and I don't want to take her water away while I'm gone, but I can't monitor the way she drinks it if I'm not there. Plus, when I take the water away, she whines and cries like crazy wanting more. I'm not really sure what to do, either.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >