Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2011, 09:32 AM

Health tests

I was just wondering does Harry have to be KC Reg to have his health tests??? I dont want to breed from him and will be getting castrated when hes old enough but its just that extra bit of knowing his hips are ok as he gets older. Its no big deal if he cant have them done.

My friend has said as i have his parents pedigrees and proof of there ownership i can KC reg him myself but this is the 1st time i have ever heard this?????????

Again i WILL NOT be breeding with Harrry despite my neighbour asking can they use him when hes older as pups are cute
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 09:52 AM
No he doesn't need to be KC reg to have hips scored.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by enerosar View Post
I was just wondering does Harry have to be KC Reg to have his health tests??? I dont want to breed from him and will be getting castrated when hes old enough but its just that extra bit of knowing his hips are ok as he gets older. Its no big deal if he cant have them done.
No he does not need to be KC registered to have health tests done, including having his hips scored

My friend has said as i have his parents pedigrees and proof of there ownership i can KC reg him myself but this is the 1st time i have ever heard this?????????
Unfortunately this is not strictly correct*. Normally the only person who is able to KC register your dog is the breeder of the litter. The fact that the parents have pedigrees does not mean that your dog is eligible for KC registration. Both of his parents have to have been KC registered themselves and there are also several other factors that need to be taken into consideration such as restrictions on them allowing them to be bred from, alternatively the dam could have been underage/overage or even had too many litters, all of which would prevent the pups from being registered.

*The was a scheme in the pipeline to allow unregistered dogs to gain KC recognition if they were assessed by championship show judges to be good examples of their breed, however this is not something I want to see happen nor will advocate.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post

Normally the only person who is able to KC register your dog is the breeder of the litter. The fact that the parents have pedigrees does not mean that your dog is eligible for KC registration. Both of his parents have to have been KC registered themselves and there are also several other factors that need to be taken into consideration such as restrictions on them allowing them to be bred from, alternatively the dam could have been underage/overage or even had too many litters, all of which would prevent the pups from being registered.

This is not strictly true ANY dog can be registered with the KC, including mutts!

However, unless the sire and dam are registered on the BREED register you will need to register the dog on the ACTIVITY register.

This register evolved in order to permit mutts to compete in all KC licensed activities (bar breed showing, Field Trials or Gundog Working Tests).

However as rescue dogs are not usually handed over with papers it means you can register "breeds" on this register too for competition purposes.

Again, even if you have a Labrador registered on the KC Activity register it means you will STILL not be able to compete in KC licensed Shows, FT or GWT.

If you have your dog registered and then want him health tested he will need to be tattood or chipped in order to match the paper details with the actual dog being tested.

( A long overdue requirement finally made mandatory last year to reduce fraud)

TBH if you are not going to breed why bother having his hips scored?

And if you are having those tested why not his eyes and elbows?
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
This is not strictly true ANY dog can be registered with the KC, including mutts!
I think it is fairly clear they were referring to the breed register and not the activities register
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
I think it is fairly clear they were referring to the breed register and not the activities register
What is clear to some can be unclear to others!
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 06:53 PM
I also have mine hip scored and eye tested - I don't breed either

Enerosar - if you want your lad health tested for your own piece of mind then go for it I get all of mine eye tested yearly, even the one who is spayed
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2011, 08:34 PM
However, unless the sire and dam are registered on the BREED register you will need to register the dog on the ACTIVITY register.

Again, even if you have a Labrador registered on the KC Activity register it means you will STILL not be able to compete in KC licensed Shows, FT or GWT.

If you have your dog registered and then want him health tested he will need to be tattood or chipped in order to match the paper details with the actual dog being tested.

TBH if you are not going to breed why bother having his hips scored?

And if you are having those tested why not his eyes and elbows?
If i was to get hips done then i would also do elbows too, im not to bothered with eyes as he can still manage without any pain if there's a problem there, where with hips and elbows he would be in pain so id like to know for the future when hes older. Im not defiantly going to get him done im jsut thinking about it, if they will do it when hes castrated then even better then its only once hes knocked out. Just looking at the parents reg cert, neither have been done but all 4 grandparents have been as it has the scores on not that that means much to me. Owww one of the grandparents is a FTCH with stud book.

The reason he wasnt KC reg was because the breeder has found it hard to get rid of the pups at KC reg price. This litter she could of sold over and over due to how cheap he was, shes still got 2 litters there who are looking for homes they were 7 and 8 week old (or so she said) His dad has a good pedigree as far as 95% are FTCH, his mums has only a couple. Both mum and dad are reg this was mums 1st litter i think or was it 2nd i cant remember.

Im not worried about registering him it was just somthing that had been mentioned, i just want him as a pet and company I dont have the time to do feild trials, showing (have done this with Cavaliers) agility etc as i have 2 young children on my own. As for you can register a mutt I didnt realise that, i did wonder how they got there names when they are taking part in the agility at Crufts, well now i know lol.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by enerosar View Post
The reason he wasnt KC reg was because the breeder has found it hard to get rid of the pups at KC reg price.
I am afraid this logic is totally lost on me?

If I sell you a dog even at "cut price" why would I not register the pups with the KC?

What has price got to do with it?

I am very confused!
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2011, 08:54 PM
I am afraid this logic is totally lost on me?

If I sell you a dog even at "cut price" why would I not register the pups with the KC?

What has price got to do with it?

I am very confused!
Well thats what i thought, she was selling the other litters (both yellows) all KC reg, same sire as Harry for £350, which even thats cheap compared to alot i have seen. Harrys litter were the 1st shes not registered and lets just say his litter was ALLOT cheaper

I only know what i was told.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >