post it in the Breeding section, but it wouldn't allow me to

post there....so.....my Shih-tzu Buster has been humping

everything especially Rocky (St.Bernard x Boxer) My

question is when can he start to breed? Can males breed

early with a female that is ready? Will it stop him from

humping if he is with a female?? He is 7 months old and I

don't want to discourage this behaviour as it might cause

him not to breed when he is older. But it drives Rocky

crazy, and I don't want them to start to fight. Please help!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 03:50 AM
First things first. I see you are in Canada so I refer you to the CKC.
If you intend to breed, I trust you are a member and have agreed to the Code of Practice and Code of Ethics ?

http://www.ckc.ca/en/Default.aspx?tabid=81

All Breed relevent health tests must be done before contemplating breeding, [ any dog ], certainly by anyone reputable, and as you don`t know the suitable age to stud your dog, I can only surmise that no tests have been done yet as that would have been an opportune time to ask the tester, vet, and your dogs breeder about it as it varies from breed to breed...

I would urge you to think most carefully :

Have you talked to your dogs breeder about using him at stud ?
That should be your first port of call, [ if they were reputable that is...], as they should be able to put you on to potentially suitable owners of bitches and can help you with lines, tests, and stud owners responsibilities.

If your dog has no pedigree or his parents were not health tested, I`d forget the notion altogether, there would be far too many genetic and health status unknowns so it would not be responsible to breed from him.

There are so many unwanted dogs of all breeds, unless a dog or bitch is of the best physical and temperament quality, with all relevent health certificates, and from already proven healthy lines, there is no good reason whatsoever to breed from them.

If your dog is of such extremely high quality as to be important to the breeds gene pool, by joining the CKC and agreeing to the Ethics etc, and having all relevent health tests done, you will get the answers you seek from those resources and can contact experts in the breed in Canada regarding the current gene pool situation.

As to him no longer humping if he mates, you know the old saying of not missing what one does`nt have ? Turn it the other way around in this instance - once they`ve utilised their testosterone, don`t expect it to just stop afterward. Studs sometimes can change personality after being used at Stud including becoming aggressive and overly territorial, so unless you are ready and prepared for that in case your dog does become so motivated, I would do everything to avoid him mating, preferably with the snip.
Not all will become difficult by any means, but you would have to flip a coin and take your chances on that as it can`t be predicted which will be perfectly fine and which wont - are you prepared to take that chance and is it really worth it ?

In you needing to ask the question in the first place, I beg you not to stud him, certainly not until you have done *all* the research first, by which time he will be older, more mature mentally, and you will have a better idea of his hormonally mature behaviours and whether or not breeding from him is suitable.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 07:59 AM
Spot on Patch, my thoughts exactly.

Tried to give you rep points for your reply, but not allowed as I've given you some before aparently. So have 10 imaginary rep points from me

Dawn R.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Hi Amber here is an article by Dosey member Shadowboxer that you may find of interest.....

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=12589

Please don't take this as criticism I know everyone has to start somewhere but the questions you have asked suggest you have done very little research into breeding.

If you intend to breed in a few years time contact the breed club for your breed and find a reputable breeder who will be prepared to act as a mentor and teach you all about the breed including the necessary health tests and requirements for breeding.

The mounting behaviour you describe is normal puppy behaviour, it has nothing at all to do with breeding and the best thing to do is distract your dog when he starts mounting things.
Many puppies grow out of this behaviour, if you were intending to use your dog at stud and have learnt all you need to know about the breed beware, once some dogs have covered a bitch they regard every bitch as a potential mate so you may be creating long term problems for yourself.
Amber08071
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post

Have you talked to your dogs breeder about using him at stud ?
That should be your first port of call, [ if they were reputable that is...], as they should be able to put you on to potentially suitable owners of bitches and can help you with lines, tests, and stud owners responsibilities.
He was not bought from a breeder, both mother and father are not registered, just some guy in the neighbourhood that wanted his dog to have pups.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Amber08071 View Post
He was not bought from a breeder, both mother and father are not registered, just some guy in the neighbourhood that wanted his dog to have pups.
If you bought him from the person who owned his mother then that person is a breeder

Unregistered dogs shouldn't be bred from-how will you know if the bitches he mates are too closely related to him ? You won't

Owning a stud dog isn't just allowing your dog to mate bitches, with the ownership there comes the joint lifelong responsibility for the puppies he produces.

If he is "humping"now using him at stud won't stop him & can actually make it worse.

As with the others I would advise you not to breed from him
Whitaker1579
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Hi Amber,
I think you need to think it through carfully.
What Patch said was spot on.
There are so many dog's in our rescue home's, do you really want to risk that one of your puppie's ending up in that situation?

You should only bred from your dog/bitch, if you truly feel that by doing so you will be improving that breed and are aiming toward's that breed's 'ideal dog' as written in it's breed standard.

As for the 'humping' problem, it'll probably die down as the dog gets older. My ess was a heller as a young dog for this, but as he got older he sort of grew out of it.

If you still decied you would like to breed from him, please, please talk to some one who know's your breed of dog and who can give you thurther advice on the matter.

Hope that help's.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 08:43 PM
If you dont want him to "hump" everything, have him neutered Im sorry, i dont want to sound harsh or rude, but it is evident that you dont understand the responsibility of breeding, and i can only assume that neither your dog, nor the bitch would have had any health screening done, which also puts both dogs at a lot of risk, not to mention the puppies.

Seriously, have him neutered. It will stop his "humping" and will make him a happier dog. Being a cross he's not going to improve any breed by having puppies and most responsible owners with a bitch they're thinking of having puppies from will use a registered, health screened pedigree dog.

Enjoy him as a pet
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 09:06 PM
well we used to have a boy who humped the other dog alot now he did get with a girl + guess what he still humped the other male dog we found that every time he tried to do it we told him no he soon stopped
as for when i wouldnt know but i wouldnt just breed from him because you want him to stop humping the other dog + whos to say that it might make it worse please try distracting him or telling him no or get him neutered if its a bad problem
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by Amber08071 View Post
I have been lucky to be involved with 4 people with outstanding knowledge of their chosen breeds Mick Mooney and Vanda Parker of Paharey Kennels(Alaskan Malamutes)and Graeme & Adele Wright of Lowdina Kennels(Bull Terriers) who are always happy to give advice whether showing, breeding or just something worrying you.
As the others have pointed put there is lot involved when breeding, eg health, temperament,bloodlines, the placements of the puppies in their forever homes and if things dont work out you have to be prepare to take back the unwant pup/adult dog as breeding just doesn't end when you sell the pup its a life time comment.
And by the above statement you brought your little guy from a BYB. The best advice I could give you is desex him and love him for the great little guy and the joy he brings
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >