Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-08-2009, 02:00 PM

Carpet Cleaning

Hi folks,
I want to ask if any of you have any suggestions as to how I can get the smell of urine out of a carpet. My oldie who crossed Rainbow Bridge a couple of weeks ago became urine incontinent in the last couple of months but as she spent so much time lying in the bedroom we didn't realise the extent of the problem until she was no longer around. I have tried proprietary brands of foaming carpet shampoo and that doesn't seem to do anything. Before I get a company in I'm hoping that one of you can give me some help.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 02:12 PM
You can hire carpet cleaners (i know our Morrisons hires them for about £35 for a wknd!) a lot cheaper than getting a company in!
Baking soda can help eliminate the smell a bit as well if you wanted to try that first
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
You can hire carpet cleaners (i know our Morrisons hires them for about £35 for a wknd!) a lot cheaper than getting a company in!
Baking soda can help eliminate the smell a bit as well if you wanted to try that first
Thanx for the suggestion regarding the baking soda, do you sprinkle it on like Shake and Vac then hoover it up, or mix it with water and use it that way?
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 02:32 PM
I have always cleaned carpet, let it dry mostly then put the baking soda on...leave it for a few hours then hoover it up
Others may have better ideas!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 02:37 PM
I was told white vinegar works, I used to use Urine-off when my lot were pups, it works well but would be more expensive.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Check that it hasn`t gone through to the underlay. If so. replace that. I opted for carpet tiles in the end because you can shove them under the tap.
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2009, 02:51 PM
I always used white vinegar , works a treat

http://www.vinegartips.com/Scripts/p...wSec.asp?id=11
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Mese View Post
I always used white vinegar , works a treat

http://www.vinegartips.com/Scripts/p...wSec.asp?id=11
Does this work on stains as well, we have tried everything to get puppy wee stains up and there still 3 big round patches on the carpet.
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Wow, thanx to everyone, I am just doing an order for Asda so the top of the list is baking soda and distilled vinegar, which I will report back on how it performs.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Simple Solution, sold in Pets@Home I think is really good, there's a yard cleaner too which is good if you have a dog that likes to pee on the patio!