Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
So now a dog needs to fit a breed standard to be able to be athletic, and fit...These very standards that have been accused of by many of you in the past of making dogs, unfit and 'wrecking' breeds..Cant flipping win

Layla I can see a slight different, what I cant see or understand is how that difference is making the dog unfit.... - I'll leave it at that....
I thought that was the whole point??

Fit for function? Isn't that what they keep pressing.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 02:35 PM
looking at the two husky images
The us one
The muzzle is shorter and the head more rounded making it look more puppy like
The length of the body is significantly longer than the height - ie the dogs legs are too short
after looking at it alot and watching the vids the dog isnt that hair - it actually has no real tuck up, its tummy is the same height as it chest
It has a roll of fat behind its neck
They move heavy on their feet with a rolling motion and the fat on their backs wobble
I would say going by the breed standard they are built more like a droving dog when they are supposed to be more athletic than that

imo the UK dog fits much better, may be SLIGHTLY too leggy but is a nice looking dog, athletic and looks a pretty good weigh
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I thought that was the whole point??

Fit for function? Isn't that what they keep pressing.
ahh but I am talking about what members have said about the standards..not what the whole point is or what others keep pressing...
we all know alot of members on here have commented on how the dogs bred for show (them that meet the standard) couldnt do a days work, I can find you post to back that up if you like.
But now a dog that doesnt meet the standard in yours eyes couldnt do its job either?
Not being funny but I am confused.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 02:43 PM
devil, but we are being asked to comment on show dogs
So being as they are judged on the standard, then that is what we are looking at
We are constantly being told the standard is there to keep the dogs looking like the breed they are supposed to - but it is interesting to see the differences in two different shows, how they can look so different
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 02:45 PM
I am just interested in how members opinions have changed towards breed standards in seconds! But there you go.

Either dogs that meet the the standards are capable of doing what they were bred for or not...It cant change each time to suit a debate!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 03:01 PM
My oppinions havent changed in any way
imo form follows function
If you select and breed only from the dogs who can healthily do the job they were bred for day in day out well into old age then the dogs will evolve the correct structure to be able to do the job
The will also have the working ability

But
This is a thread about show line dogs, so we are joining in and talking about how they compare to the standard and stuff because for show dogs that is considered important

watching clips of the agility/obedience collies I dont comment on their eye or ability to herd I talk about how they are doing the job that is asked of them

so the 'job' asked of these dogs is how well they fit the standard, and in this thread it is also talking about the differences between the US and UK dogs

I find it interesting and fun to look at

it is sad if I think in the long term because I can see if these dogs are the basis for what people will be breeding for then there will be even more divergence in breeds, you wont just have working and show lines - you will also have show type from different countries - and the narrowing of the gene pool more so

But in the short term, on a bit of fun thread I am enjoying looking and seeing the differences in the breed, playing the judging game
I am not changing anything in my views. As I have always said I have nothing against the individual who wants to have a bit of fun showing their pet
SO I see nothing wrong with me enjoying comparing and contrasting the differences
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Have enjoyed this thread, nice to see the 2 dogs together and compare them!

Here is my breed, Bullmastiff

Crufts BOB: HOT GOSSIP OF BEWITCHED FORCE JUN CH

Westminster BOB: GCH Peerless I Am The Love Bug

I actually prefer the Westminster winner.
Face is nicer (not being as squished up), and the body just looks so much better - fitter and more muscular!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Westminster winner ...GCH Winfall Brookwood Styled Dream

Ch & Ir. Ch Winuwuk Lust at First Sight

Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
My oppinions havent changed in any way
imo form follows function
If you select and breed only from the dogs who can healthily do the job they were bred for day in day out well into old age then the dogs will evolve the correct structure to be able to do the job
The will also have the working ability

But
This is a thread about show line dogs, so we are joining in and talking about how they compare to the standard and stuff because for show dogs that is considered important

watching clips of the agility/obedience collies I dont comment on their eye or ability to herd I talk about how they are doing the job that is asked of them

so the 'job' asked of these dogs is how well they fit the standard, and in this thread it is also talking about the differences between the US and UK dogs

I find it interesting and fun to look at

it is sad if I think in the long term because I can see if these dogs are the basis for what people will be breeding for then there will be even more divergence in breeds, you wont just have working and show lines - you will also have show type from different countries - and the narrowing of the gene pool more soBut in the short term, on a bit of fun thread I am enjoying looking and seeing the differences in the breed, playing the judging game
I am not changing anything in my views. As I have always said I have nothing against the individual who wants to have a bit of fun showing their pet
SO I see nothing wrong with me enjoying comparing and contrasting the differences
You already do, different interpratation of breeds will differ country to country.

Not sure why it would narrow the gene pool though, as its not unheard of to import different "types" from around the world to brign new blood into your own..

They all meet the breed standard, they just differ slightly!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Have enjoyed this thread, nice to see the 2 dogs together and compare them!

Here is my breed, Bullmastiff

Crufts BOB: HOT GOSSIP OF BEWITCHED FORCE JUN CH

Westminster BOB: GCH Peerless I Am The Love Bug

I actually prefer the Westminster winner.
Face is nicer (not being as squished up), and the body just looks so much better - fitter and more muscular!
Agree ....
Page 12 of 17 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »