Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2006, 09:52 PM

Help with chicken soup please?

I've not been too well with my M E lately and decided to stuff myself full of good food
I've been trying to make more homemade meals like stew etc......i cooked a roast tonight and purposely got chicken so that i can have a go at making a homemade chicken soup (we didn't eat much of it anyway,so theres plenty of good meat left),i've looked at about a million recipes on the net so iv'e got a rough idea,but alot of the soups looked quite thin and i think i'd like to make a thicker one,also i didn't want to put carrots and celery in as i've had loads of stew this week with that in,i was thinking more along the lines of potato,leek and sweetcorn,does anyone make their own ? and can i just add the vegtables that i want to it ? do i need a specific type of potato ? I've never made soup before,any help would be great
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Have you got a slowcooker???

I would throw everything in a slow cooker with some chicken stock.. put in potato's, leeks, sweetcorn.. whatever you choose and leave it on for a few hours..(maybe stick some split red lentils in it for to thicken it up)
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 09:07 AM
1 (3 pound) whole chicken
4 carrots, halved
4 stalks celery, halved
1 large onion, halved
water to cover
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
DIRECTIONS
Put the chicken, carrots, celery and onion in a large soup pot and cover with cold water. Heat and simmer, uncovered, until the chicken meat falls off of the bones (skim off foam every so often).
Take everything out of the pot. Strain the broth. Pick the meat off of the bones and chop the carrots, celery and onion. Season the broth with salt, pepper and chicken bouillon to taste, if desired. Return the chicken, carrots, celery and onion to the pot, stir together, and serve.
lillybet
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Large pot 3/4 full of water
Whole chicken cut-up into sections
7 carrots sliced
6 parsley sliced
1 medium onion
1 small tomato
1 green pepper cut in half
2 celery sticks sliced
1 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 tbsp. salt
Small egg noodles

Add salt and chicken to large pot 3/4 full of water. Bring to boil. Skim top of the water with small strainer. Add vegetables and black pepper. Cover slightly and slowly boil for 2 hours. When soup is done, remove chicken.
Cook your egg noodles in salted water. Drain and rinse. Add soup over top of noodles. Enjoy!!
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Thankyou both,i'm gonna start attempting it in a bit,fso ingers crossed,
Harvey wants his friend round for tea tomorrow now..................instead of today !!!! Cheeky git !!
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 10:15 AM
Hi Tink! I love making soup because you can put in whatever you fancy. Just remember to put the veg in order, so things are cooked for appropriate times:

1st - celery/onions/fennel
2nd - hard vegetables - carrots/potatoes/parsnips
3rd - more delicate stuff - corn, peas, peppers
4th - spinach/herbs only need a few minutes

If you don't have a blender, think about getting one of those hand-held stick jobbies. You can get them for less than a tenner in the supermarket, and can blitz everything in the same pan you've cooked it in.

As for your chicken, this recipe seems to fit the bill, but if you're really sick of celery just swap it for your leeks:

4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
2 to 3 ribs celery, peeled and diced
2 to 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 teaspoons fresh savory, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried, optional
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk or light cream
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups cooked chicken, diced
salt
fresh ground pepper
1 cup corn kernel

Heat vegetable oil in a large pot and stir in the onion and celery, continuing to stir for about 5 minutes, before adding the potatoes. Cover and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes, and stir in the herbs. Mix the flour with milk to make a thin paste, then add the milk and broth to the soup pot and bring to a boil. Simmer until the vegetables are tender but not mushy. Stir in the chicken and optional corn, and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper to taste. Cook gently 5 minutes; serve hot.

Have fun
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Well its smelling lush so far.......................
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Did it !!!!
It was alright......lovely with crusty bread but i think i made it a little rich, not bad for a first attempt though and i have loads left over,
Thanks for the help x
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 10:57 PM
I'm good at making soup - well that's as long as I can find my can opener
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
I'm good at making soup - well that's as long as I can find my can opener