Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2006, 03:14 PM

Paying to much for electricity bill?

Hi there guys, before I phone up my electric company and yell at them, can anyone tell me if this is too much??

Currently I pay £25 per month and I do NOT have gas. I have not had the heating on for about 5 months though. I get a letter through last week saying I owe them about £500* not entirely sure will check when im at home. But it was a ridicuous amount. and now my payments will change from £81.00 (which its never been!) and will now be £73.00!!!

I am totally confused but this sounds way too much? Is this right?
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-10-2006, 03:19 PM
I'd get on to them ASAP and sort that out and ask where they got the information from that your payments where that amount. Plus also I'd check your meter and make sure that corresponds with your invoice
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2006, 03:23 PM
have you had an estimated bill in the last year
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2006, 03:25 PM
You'll really have to bear with me on this one, being my first house. but whats an estimated bill???
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2006, 03:33 PM
has the meter been read by a man or woman from the electric company or have they just estimated how much you may be useing ?
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2006, 03:36 PM
every now and then (mostly just befor or after xmas) they take and actual reading (someone comes out) which is nearly always higher than what you normally pay
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Is it high? I do have gas central heating and hot water and my electricity bill is £100 a month
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Oh right, thats a lot, I assumed gas £25 and electricity £25 and that was it, and I thought we over spent in summer and under paid in winter months and then it all evened out. Dont think we've had anyone check our meter, but somehow I really remember a note on our dinner table saying 'we have called but you wern't there,' think i need to call them and just tell them im confused
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2006, 04:32 PM
I am paying £69 a month for electric and £53.50 a month for gas at the moment - don't know whether this is a lot or not. I hardly have the heating on at all and don't use the gas fire either.
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Hi - you say this is your first house so presume you have moved in fairly recently. You should check that the electricity company haven't included the last person's bills on top of yours.

Get them to check that the dates they have billed you for agrees with the date you moved in. Many many years ago in our first house we had a bill that was enormous and being a first house we had no idea about costs. We turned everything off and sat in the cold each night thinking we just couldn't afford the heating and it was only when I queried the bill that we found out we had been charged for electricity used before we had bought the house.

Ring them up and query it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >