View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Yes! (Again echoing what Meg said). Far too many folk get the dog first and then frantically try to seek advice even about the most basic stuff like feeding and vaccinations etc.

I don't know what it is about people buying animals that makes them leave their brains at home - can't imagine anyone buying even an old second hand car without doing at least a little bit of research into stuff like whether it's good on fuel, how much to insure etc.

Seems a lot of people put more thought and research into buying something like a TV or mobile phone (that they might not intend to keep more than a few years) than into taking on a live animal that could be with them for 15yrs or more!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2013, 11:18 AM
I agree with most of the other posters.

Dogs are needy creatures and they don't tend to do well when left alone for most of the day. Puppies will just wee and poo all over and destroy things and adult dogs might bark a lot etc.

However, I might care to add... if you want a lovely pet that doesn't mind a small place and being left alone for long times... a CAT might do nicely.

A calm breed like maybe a Himalayan would be great for a small apartment with someone who doesn't have lots of free time.

They are not suited to be outside a lot and tend to be homebodies from what I've seen. A tortoiseshell one would be awesome

scsachira
New Member!
Male 

14-12-2013, 02:11 PM
I personally think animals are not like other things which we could buy from store, they are sensitive, they are living things and you can't pick them just doing online quiz or questionnaire.

I respect all comments of you guys, I trust you guys with the matter because you guys know what you guys talking about. I feel little-bit sad but I know it's for greater cause.

Actually now I'm thinking about how would cat do for me. But I'll need sometime to think about it, and in here in my country, cats are not popular like dogs. But may be I'll be able to change my mind and find good cat.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Thank you for coming back and telling us your decision Sachira - I hope that you find a lovely cat to be a companion for you.
Izzythesprocker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Good choice in not getting a puppy, as that would not be fair. A cat would be ok, but would you consider rats? It may sound odd but rats are social but as long as you keep 2 or 3 in a BIG cage rats would suit your lifestyle.
I find rats to be much like dogs- social, loving and they love cuddles. However they need less space and demand less attention. =D good luck.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Izzythesprocker View Post
Good choice in not getting a puppy, as that would not be fair. A cat would be ok, but would you consider rats? It may sound odd but rats are social but as long as you keep 2 or 3 in a BIG cage rats would suit your lifestyle.
I find rats to be much like dogs- social, loving and they love cuddles. However they need less space and demand less attention. =D good luck.
That was exactly what I thought
scsachira
New Member!
Male 

16-12-2013, 02:50 AM
Rats actually even rare to find here. :P But in my house there are few rats who destroys everything I have. LOL. Anyways guys, thanks a lot for your time. May be I'll goto cat. We'll see. Thanks.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2013, 08:58 AM
I can understand you not wanting to get a cat that you allowed out in your country where they are not looked upon very kindly. (I believe you can be arrested for feeding cats in the street in Sri Lanka!) This is a UK forum and most just think of how animals are thought of in the UK. Cats everywhere here in Cyprus but mainly only English people keep them as 'house pets'.

As for rats as pets. Well, in the UK they are popular as pets but for instance, here in Cyprus where I live, I would probably get reported to the authorities for harbouring vermin lol! NO ONE would understand for one minute anyone keeping rats as pets! No more than they'd understand me wanting to keep cockroaches or ants as pets lol!

As it's reported Lepto Spirosis is on the increase in Sri Lanka I'd imagine it would not be a popular choice of pet for you to keep rats there!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Ah maybe not such a good idea then
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Are there any nearby dog rescue shelters you could volunteer for maybe an hour or so every weekend, so you get to enjoy being around dogs and learning more about their care, without actually committing to look after a puppy while working full time?

Good luck!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >