Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2011, 03:06 PM

Wedding cupcakes

I have had a rather inventive...or should I say silly idea of making my own wedding cake...well cupcakes!

Im not 100% sure im going to do it yet but was just wanting some ideas.

Id really love to buy some of those lovely cupcake cases and have a lovely stand for them, all decorated in white, silver and purple.

Trouble is....I need a good recipe for large-ish cupcakes, and icing...

Anyone got some ideas? x
steve78
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-04-2011, 03:49 PM
ill test em for ya if thats any help
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2011, 05:07 PM
You can use any cake recipe for cupcakes usually but just shorten the cooking time. American style cupcakes with buttermilk in are a bit different
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 04:30 PM
I don't think it's a silly idea at all, cupcakes are becoming more and more popular at weddings as an alternative to more traditional cakes. M&S do them to order, I think when we were looking they had three different types. If you are good at baking there is no reason why you shouldn't do them yourself, as long as you have time to try out different ideas.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Well done - lovely idea!
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 11:56 AM
I had these for my wedding only the photographer didnt take any pictures I hired a 4 or 5 tier cake stand and had bought some white feathers for the top of it in the middle and white petals and pearls on a tiny wire that wrapped around each tier all the way to the top and scattered some tiny material rosebuds in and amongst all the cakes,it looked absolutely gorgeous My neighbour did sugercraft icing so we bought hoards of plain sponge and chocolate cupcakes (you'd be surprised just how many you need!) and she did various white decorations on each...Love hearts,intials etc,She was surprised how long it took to do them even though she's been doing sugercraft for years and just about made them all in time for the day.So if you''re doing it yourself i would make sure you leave yourself plenty of time
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Worth remembering that you can freeze cakes too. Don't think icing freezes well (condenses when out of the freezer and the water "melts" the sugar) but you could make your cakes up in advance and then have a group of friends around for an "icing party"
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Worth remembering that you can freeze cakes too. Don't think icing freezes well (condenses when out of the freezer and the water "melts" the sugar) but you could make your cakes up in advance and then have a group of friends around for an "icing party"
Great idea!