Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2011, 02:34 PM

Question re Raspberries and Honeysuckle

Okay, so I love raspberries and bought two plants, I've put them in the back garden in a good spot, my question is this, will they now just grow like mad along the fence? This fence is about 5ft high. Or would I have to get more to achieve the same idea?

Same with the honeysuckle, I only have one plant but can I train it to grow round the fence or would I have to buy more plants to cover the fence. The fence I'm talking about for the honeysuckle is in the front garden and is only about 3ft high
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2011, 02:41 PM
The Honeysuckle is a climber & you can train it around the fence, you can also peg down the runners & make new plants when they root.
Rasberries are a pest, they get out of control really quickly.
They spread like mad underground & pop up all over the place.
I'd only ever grow Rasberry canes in containers now, after taking years to get one under control .
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2011, 07:54 PM
I'd be tempted to grow your raspberries in containers, not just because of the problem with them sending out roots, but because you'll need to net them off to stop the birds nicking the fruit.

Honeysuckle needs pruning to keep it healthy, otherwise it's prone to mould and becomes leggy with very few leaves and blossoms. I'd read up and trim it back a couple of times per year.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
will they now just grow like mad along the fence? This fence is about 5ft high. Or would I have to get more to achieve the same idea?
Along the fence? - I don't think so, rasberries grow straight upwards, the fruit comes on short branches of the main stem, if you want to cover the fence you really ought to think about blackberries which can put out very long side shoots.

As mentioned above what rasberries do is spread out underground and then pop up in places you don't want them, like the middle of your lawn as also mentioned above birds are a big problem with rasberries, if you don't net them the birdies will have the lot before you can get to pick them