View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 09:35 AM

Parker playing "good dog/bad dog" is not good for my blood pressure!

When I visit my Mum every Wednesday to take her shopping I walk the dogs on the field opposite her house.

There are a few horses tethered there but Parker is ok with them as long as I don't walk within a "critical distance" of about 60 feet. (Cherry is leashed). We have been walking there regularly for the last 7 years with no problems.

Last Wednesday Parker was standing watching the nearest horse but he often does that so I wasn't concerned. Then the horse started walking towards him! EEK! Parker took off at speed (he is 9 but still fast) and ran towards the horse wuffing at it.

I called "Parker come" and the sound of my voice hit him just as he was within a foot of the horse's head and he kept running at speed but changed direction and moved towards me. I gave him a jackpot of treats and clipped his lead on with shaking hands.

My blood pressure must have been off the scale for those few seconds of seeing him running at the horse. It was quite graceful how he kept running at speed back to me and didn't falter though.

The horses are used to dogs and friendly to them so I think this one may have wanted to just come over and say hello as it were. I think my critical distance needs revising (actually I will just leash him now!)
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Oh dear, at least he came back when you called. The horse must have just wanted to say hi, they can be nosey like that...