Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:31 PM

Misty has moved again.

I've moved Misty to live with my friend Rachel, her boyfriend Paul and their dog Ty, a staff x lab.

To cut a long story short, I wasn't happy with the way Misty was being looked after with my friend Cheryl. Cheryl got a new boyfriend over christmas, so has spent the bare minimum of time in her house, meaning Misty was getting all of about an hour out of her crate in a day. I wanted to go over there more, but work commitments meant that I couldn't.

Rachel offered to have Misty, because her and Paul are thinking of a second dog sometime this year, so Misty is practice for them, to see how they all get on. Rachel also keeps her horse at the yard where I work, so Misty can come to work with me, and Rach is also 20mins walk away from Mum's.

The day I went to collect Misty from Cheryl to take her to Rachels, there was mouldy food stuck to the bottom of her water bowl, and the only bedding she had was a soggy towel. I had provided Cheryl with a big fleecey blanket and a donut bed for Moo's, plus various towels, but Misty had messed in her crate, due to being left, so rather than get the mess off, and wash it, Cheryl just chucked it in the garden, where it got ruined, it got rained on and was stinking, so Mum threw it in the bin!

I needed to put it all in perspective, as Cheryl told me I was cruel for even thinking about moving Misty again, yet seemed to think the way she was keeping her was perfectly acceptable, writing this has helped me to see that I've done nothing wrong in moving her. It took her all of an hour to settle and she has made her self right at home at Rachels. Ideally, she'd be here at Mums with me, but Mum isn't allowed dogs, her landlady can't stand them, plsu Mum has a cat and Misty doesn't really like those!

She is already benefiting from being at Rachels, she's spent 2 days at the yard with me this week, and has started agility classes this week.

I am right in moving Moo's aren't I? Cheryl was effectively neglecting Misty and Randy. I'm not sure what I can do about Randy, still being left all day, as he has water, bedding, is fed and walked for 15/20 mins a day.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 11:47 PM
too right, id have moved my dog aswell and gone barmy at my "friend" for the way she was or wasnt in this case looking after my dog, im glad that misty is now closer to you and is in a "home" where she can be looked after untill you can have her back
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 11:12 AM
What a pain you can't keep Misty at your mum's Would she be better left up with your OH, so at least has the continuity of care and routine?

If not, then your friend, Rachel, sounds to have a good set up, and at least Misty will have company and exercise. I think I would be having some strong words with your other friend about the way she kept Misty and also about how she is keeping her own dog. What sort of dog is her own? I am guessing it is a dog that needs a bit more than 15 mins company/exercise a day!!