Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by pinklizzy View Post
IVery jealous of digital radiography Munsti Sue! It must make hip/elbow scoring a lot easier and less time consuming?.

I very nearly went to Middlesex The views of the Malverns from Hartpury College (UWE) won me over in the end though
Digital x-ray is great. No more fumbling around in the dark and trapping fingers in the film cupboard... Think it more a case of 'boys and their toys' at our practice. Latest toy is huge ultrasound machine. If there was enough room for mri/ct, im sure that would be there aswell

Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
I think with prescribing , maybe this will move on as in humans .
I think some of the university/colleges are beginning to incorporate it into their courses now. Two of our nurses have just completed the SQP course, it seemed a lot more work than the exotic nursing cert that I've just completed!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Munsti-Sue View Post
I very nearly went to Middlesex The views of the Malverns from Hartpury College (UWE) won me over in the end though
Digital x-ray is great. No more fumbling around in the dark and trapping fingers in the film cupboard... Think it more a case of 'boys and their toys' at our practice. Latest toy is huge ultrasound machine. If there was enough room for mri/ct, im sure that would be there aswell

I think some of the university/colleges are beginning to incorporate it into their courses now. Two of our nurses have just completed the SQP course, it seemed a lot more work than the exotic nursing cert that I've just completed!
I see the Malverns every day.......love this part of the world! Wow, an ultrasound machine.........things really have moved on.

Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
Oh yes I well remember"the pressure cooker", using oxygen and ether, and when immobilon came outwhat a diff that made to gelding horses, the numerous bottles that had to be filled,the only wormers we had were Pip.Cit, Yomesan,and Scolaban. We used vaccines made by Hoecsht Distemper vaccine was called Caninovac and the new "5 in 1" was Maxavac i still remember the rep his name was Alan Ashton!
Bitch Speys £5!!
I had forgotten that horrible oxygen and ether contraption - too much leaking from the mask and we were all in danger of keeling over! STOP IT now.....all this remembering prices thing is making me think I might have a problem brainwise!
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
I think with prescribing , maybe this will move on as in humans as trained nurse prescribers can prescribe and dispense an agreed list of drugs these days , cant see why a VN suitably trained as the nurses are couldnt dispense certain medications for animals , its interesting seeing in this thread how the VN role has developed over the years in the same way as the RN role for humans.
I quite agree........given all the procedures that modern Nurses are able to do.

Originally Posted by pinklizzy View Post
I qualified in 2005 after going the degree route (RVC/Middlesex Uni) I did my training placements in private practices, rescue centres and also a stint in a referral hospital.
Since qualifying I've worked in a large rescue centre and am now in a mixed practice (although I'm on maternity leave at the moment)
I was an A1 assessor but that has all been replaced with the NPL, although I do have assigned students to monitor and train.
Unfortunately I get stuck on reception quite a bit but do get to assist with all the usual. We do some ortho although it's the more basic end of the spectrum.
Lab, lab and more lab work, usually involving swearing at the analyser as it seems to hate me!
Very jealous of digital radiography Munsti Sue! It must make hip/elbow scoring a lot easier and less time consuming?
I would like the opportunity to do more schedule 3 procedures but currently our vets outnumber qualified nurses and it just doesn't make sense for me to be doing them.
You sound to have had a wonderfully varied life as a Vet Nurse Lab work is fascinating in itself, and your stint in the Rescue Centres must have been so rewarding
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3