View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 07:46 AM
I think I must be a little younger Than Bitkin and went the same route I remember Pentothal well, Nuvan top the best thing since sliced bread then for fleas 2s 6d (12 1/2) cat castrations 5s/25p, Cat speys £1. 10s/ I could go on and on,
I loved it worked in a mixed practise,oooooooooooo there is many a tale to tell
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 08:04 AM
I've been working at a vets for just over a year now. I've just started a 2 year level 3 diploma in veterinary nursing, 1 day a week at college and at least 2 days a week working at the vets, only been to college 2 weeks!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
This will be a lovely thread to read

As a kid I always wanted to be a vet nurse, or a vet but I 'didn't like blood' so never went down that path.

I've trained for 8 years to qualify as a BSL interpreter. I now don't mind blood one bit! I wish I'd gone down the vet nurse, or vet path
When you are young and don't like blood you can never envisage feeling any different can you! I had to go outside during my first ever view of an op because of feeling faint, but after that I was fine.

Originally Posted by Munsti-Sue View Post
I've been qualified as a VN for just over 5 years now. To get there I did the unconventional route of studying for the NVQ and Degree in parallel and was lucky to stay on at the practice who saw me through my placement blocks.

Life is vary varied in practice. Quite frequently we are asked by the vet to xray conscious/sedated animals and in the 8 years of being at my practice have seen developing change from hand, to automatic and now to digital. We now get to be a bit more involved with surgery and are able to do basic dentistry and stitch ups. Scrubbing in to assist with more complex procedures such as orthopaedics, is fairly routine.
From a medical aspect, nurses place most animals on intravenous fluids and take any blood samples and are eternally grateful for wonderful kennel assistants.

Most of my time is on nurse consultations getting to know my clients. One of my favourite clinics is the puppy and adolescent checks, certainly helps with the canine phobia of the vets and you get see the dogs grow.
Least favourate is anal glands and rabbit teeth trimming.

Lab work is also a big part of our practice with nurses having to run machines for biochemistry, haematology, blood gasses, electrolytes and deal with samples for aerobic/anaerobic culture, anti-biotic sensitivities, fungal cultures, parastite i.d., urine anaysis, faecal anaysis, blood smears, microbiology, cytology....endless list.

Though with all the things that VN's do, with the RCVS VN qualification, we are not classed as suitably qualified to dispense frontline or drontal!
That is fascinating to read.......you do so much more than I did. Stitching was totally out of the question for instance. I suppose that dispensing drugs is the same as for humans - only a qualified Vet or Pharmacist is allowed to do it?
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
I think I must be a little younger Than Bitkin and went the same route I remember Pentothal well, Nuvan top the best thing since sliced bread then for fleas 2s 6d (12 1/2) cat castrations 5s/25p, Cat speys £1. 10s/ I could go on and on,
I loved it worked in a mixed practise,oooooooooooo there is many a tale to tell
Oh yes.......the Nuvan top!!! Your memory is better than mine for prices though Do you remember having to write all the labels for medicine bottles by hand and using a pressure cooker for sterilising instruments and op towels?!! Oh, and the room full of odd shaped bottles with bits of this and that preserved in formaldehyde - I still shudder when I think of the worm collection.

Originally Posted by TBBS View Post
I've been working at a vets for just over a year now. I've just started a 2 year level 3 diploma in veterinary nursing, 1 day a week at college and at least 2 days a week working at the vets, only been to college 2 weeks!
Good luck.........I'm sure that the two years will whizz by.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Oh yes I well remember"the pressure cooker", using oxygen and ether, and when immobilon came outwhat a diff that made to gelding horses, the numerous bottles that had to be filled,the only wormers we had were Pip.Cit, Yomesan,and Scolaban. We used vaccines made by Hoecsht Distemper vaccine was called Caninovac and the new "5 in 1" was Maxavac i still remember the rep his name was Alan Ashton!
Bitch Speys £5!!
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 11:27 AM
oh yea and the smell of the developer and fixer when you were trying your best not to get your fingers on the un developed plates as the same time you were blocking the light out from under the door........... deep joy
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 11:59 AM
I think with prescribing , maybe this will move on as in humans as trained nurse prescribers can prescribe and dispense an agreed list of drugs these days , cant see why a VN suitably trained as the nurses are couldnt dispense certain medications for animals , its interesting seeing in this thread how the VN role has developed over the years in the same way as the RN role for humans.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 12:04 PM
If I could afford it, I would start VN training tomorrow! I really wish I'd done it when I was younger instead of human nursing!!
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
If I could afford it, I would start VN training tomorrow! I really wish I'd done it when I was younger instead of human nursing!!
I agree Zoe !
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2011, 12:36 PM
I qualified in 2005 after going the degree route (RVC/Middlesex Uni) I did my training placements in private practices, rescue centres and also a stint in a referral hospital.
Since qualifying I've worked in a large rescue centre and am now in a mixed practice (although I'm on maternity leave at the moment)
I was an A1 assessor but that has all been replaced with the NPL, although I do have assigned students to monitor and train.
Unfortunately I get stuck on reception quite a bit but do get to assist with all the usual. We do some ortho although it's the more basic end of the spectrum.
Lab, lab and more lab work, usually involving swearing at the analyser as it seems to hate me!
Very jealous of digital radiography Munsti Sue! It must make hip/elbow scoring a lot easier and less time consuming?
I would like the opportunity to do more schedule 3 procedures but currently our vets outnumber qualified nurses and it just doesn't make sense for me to be doing them.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Munsti-Sue View Post
Though with all the things that VN's do, with the RCVS VN qualification, we are not classed as suitably qualified to dispense frontline or drontal!
That seems ridiculous when you can go into a shop and buy them!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >